You’ll find warmth and welcome at the heart of Mike and Robbie’s boutique B&B, in an 18th-century Grade II-listed property. Set in a small village, with just three tastefully decorated bedrooms, comfort is key with the accommodation offering a stylish and relaxing base from which to explore the Lake District National Park.
Cumbria Tourism B&B of the Year 2016, plus a Cumbria Tourism ‘Superior’ award. Visit England 4 star Gold with Breakfast award.
On the fringes of the northern Lake District near the M6, Whitrigg House is in the small village of Clifton in Cumbria’s Eden Valley and within easy reach the Northern Lakes, fells and Northern Pennines. There’s so much to do in the area, you’ll never be twiddling your thumbs. Hike across the fells, navigate the Lakes, climb a mountain, view castles and historic houses or wander around beautiful gardens, there’s a box just waiting to be ticked.
Lowther Castle, Ullswater and Pooley Bridge are all about 10 minutes drive away and the historic market town of Penrith just five minutes away. There are activities aplenty too, ranging from fishing and canoeing to cycling and horse-riding. And when you’ve exhausted yourself with all that, the great news is that there are some brilliant gastro pubs in the area.
The B&B is very easily accessible; just five minutes from Junction 40 on the M6 and from Penrith mainline railway station.
- Mike and Robbie’s standard’s are very high and it shows in everything they do from the immaculate rooms through to an amazing breakfast of carefully sourced goodies
- the thoughtful interior design and colour scheme fits with the age and style of the house perfectly, giving a lovely calm, authentic vibe. The rooms and ensuites are spacious, beautifully appointed and exceptionally clean
- THE GEORGE AND DRAGON INN – an amazing Gastro pub – is just a few minutes walk away. With it’s log burning fire, great menu and cosy feel, it is just what you would hope to find on a Lake District break.
- the breakfast has to be worthy of a special mention. Robbie is the chef and Mike is front of house. They chalk up on blackboard where everything is sourced, from your Monsoon Malabar coffee to your Black Pudding from Ramsay in Scotland. Two choices and bread – sunflower and sourdough and homemade brown sauce
- the guys live in the same village but not in the B&B. They are always available to help if you need it but it also means that you never feel that you are intruding into their private space. And with just three rooms, you will often be able to enjoy the communal living room like your own additional room
- three bedrooms; one with super kingside bed and full en suite bathroom, another with double bed and en suite shower room and finally one with a single bed and en suite shower room
- wall mounted TVs, Wifi, DAB radios, coffee and tea facilities
- a large walled garden and at the bottom of the garden is a sauna and treadmill.
- The breakfast menu, cooked with local ingredients, is available from 8.30 – 9.30 am but can be flexible.
- for relaxing after a day exploring the area, there’s a sitting room with fireplace and plenty of local maps and guidebooks.
- Next door to the B&B there’s Harrison House, also run by the owners of Whitrigg House. Harrison House is a converted barn holiday let, with 3 double bedrooms, large sitting room, dining and kitchen room and set within a secluded walled garden. Harrison House is also dog friendly.
Whitrigg House and Harrison House, the holiday barn next door, are a new venture by Mike and Robbie who moved to Clifton in 2008 to enjoy all that the Lake District and Eden Valley have to offer, like hill-walking, climbing and walking their two Pointers, Griffin and Merlin on the fells. They live nearby within the village and both have professional roles within the NHS. Both have travelled extensively which has helped create high quality accommodation and their ethos of comfort and relaxed informality.
ReviewsLeave your own
Steven & Stephen: March 2018
Truly exceptional! We had a wonderful, relaxing stay at Whitrigg House this weekend. Our room was just perfect – beautiful, stylish décor….real attention to detail…..the most comfortable bed….and a lovely bathroom. Delicious breakfast – really appreciated the tasty, creative fruit options, homemade breads and cooked dishes (highly recommend smoked salmon and scrambled eggs!) Lovely sitting room – calm, inviting and beautifully-furnished. Warm and welcoming hosts – we felt at home and looked after from the moment we arrived. Fantastic location – 5-minute walk from George and Dragon, a really excellent pub / restaurant. Exceptional in every way. We’ll definitely return. Thank you so much
Dan and Scotty: September 2016
It was only a 2 night stay - but it refreshed and rested us like a 2 week stay abroad! We were overwhelmed by the complete labour of love that Mike and Robbie have put into this beautiful house. Everything was unique and special - from the beautiful decorations around the picturesque house - to the unique pottery used for the most gorgeous breakfasts!
Our host Mike was welcoming from the start, and full of information and advice - including of course the most gorgeous George and the Dragon Inn with an unforgettable meal welcoming us to the Lakes. Unmissable!
Damian Afflick: May 2014
This place is just wonderful! I've never stayed in a B&B before so this was great introduction. The tasteful decor and attention to detail gives the B&B a boutique feel. Our hosts were incredibly friendly and helpful, which made our stay all the better . We would definitely go again and have already recommended this place to friends.
Xmas 2013: Natalie Gross of Liverpool.
Thank you for a lovely relaxing Christmas. Whitrigg truly came to feel like a home from home. I am sure we will be back to enjoy your hospitality and delicious breakfasts before too long
October 2013: Deborah Hudghton of Notts.
A wonderful place to stay. The house is beautiful and very comfortable. You have made me feel so welcome and relaxed, the breakfasts are also fantastic. I have enjoyed my time here very much. Definitely the best place I have stayed in by far. Thank you.
November 2013: Matthew Beard of London.
Fantastic place - the house is wonderfully decorated. Brilliant hosts - very accommodating catering to our needs. Pity we could only stay the one night.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Whitrigg House B&B
Clifton, Cumbria, England
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Whitrigg House B&B
Clifton, Cumbria, England