Quirky Northumberland Bolt Hole
A stylish and intimate B&B, crafted from a historic and stunning manor house. The vibe is country house party (but with space and privacy), with comfortable and cozy sitting rooms, incredible breakfasts to suit your timings and hosts who go out of their way to ensure your stay is the very best it can be with old school hospitality.
Just inland from the busier and better known (but stunningly beautiful) coastal areas near Alnwick, Chillingham Manor is surrounded by beautiful Northumberland countryside with a village pub about a mile away plus the famous castle and the cattle which take their name from the village.
Choosing to head further afield, explore that coastline (about 20 minutes away) with highlights like Bamburgh and its castle, Alnwick and Cheswick. There’s also historic Berwick on Tweed which is easily accessible and well worth a day’s exploration as are the Cheviot hills and Northumberland National Park.
A huge bonus about being here is that it is so lovely to return to the peace here after a day in the often busy coast!
- There is an unmistakable love of hospitability which imbibes everything at this warm and friendly B&B
- The relaxed approach to breakfast in terms of timings – you can take it as brunch if you prefer (with notice)
- The incredibly varied and beautifully crafted breakfast menu (with things like smashed avocado on toasted sour dough or buttery mushrooms with a poached egg.. heaven
- Northumberland is one of those places that stays with you. It’s wild and beautiful with history at every turn, But it’s also populated with open and welcoming people who make exploring a pleasure
- You could easily spend a day in Edinburgh during your stay, just under an hour away by train, before retreating to your country residence
- Take a boat trip out to The Farne Islands and hopefully spot some seals and puffins on the way!
- A day curled up in front of the fire in one of the communal sitting rooms
- Three ensuite double rooms
- Two of the rooms can be a twin or a double
- All rooms are furnished individually with a mix of antiques and character pieces
- Bedrooms have tea and coffee and a TV (which can be removed)
- There are communal sitting rooms with wood burning stoves and a dining room with an open fire, all bright and comfortable
- Breakfast is served to suit in terms of diet and time
- If all three rooms are rented together you can order dinner
- There are dogs on site at Chillingham Manor so you can’t bring your own unless you rent all three rooms
Northumberland has been part of Ed and Mhairi lives for over 20 years. They’ve moved around but were eventually drawn back and are very happy they were! Their careers have been focused around hospitality and now they’re loving running part of the family house as a B&B. Theirs is a relaxed but attentive style and they love sharing top tips on this area.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.