A beautiful Georgian rectory surrounded by the most dramatic of landscapes combined with fine dining and the pleasure of luxurious boutique hotel living make this perfect for a romantic escape with or without your walking boots.
Trip Advisor’s Travellers Choice Top 10 Winners 2012 – 2016: Categories: Small Hotel of the Year, Most Romantic Hotel and Service Award
Gold winner (small hotel) 2014 Visit England’s Awards for Excellence
High up in the northern most reaches of North Devon you’re in the secluded heart of the Exmoor hamlet of Martinhoe – one church, a farm and five cottages. A true escape from the masses!
The Old Rectory is the perfect base for those of you who want to venture out onto the lush green Exmoor National Park or experience the breath-taking walks along the costal path which is literally at the end of the garden. Alternatively just stay in, enjoy the views and the three acres of mature garden, curl up with a book from the library and wait for that delicious four course dinner!
Four hours from London and two hours from Bristol.
- pack your sensible shoes for those fabulous walks along the dramatic cliff tops. The location is breath-taking
- the complimentary afternoon tea and cake is on the house if you have the dinner B&B option and served in the garden weather permitting
- warm welcome from the delightful hosts, Huw and Sam, who combine impeccable professionalism with a most friendly and entertaining manner. This is a stand-out feature – their superb hospitality which warrants the accolades they keep on being awarded
- the evening dinner – don’t forget to leave room for pudding!
- the award winning wine list – just to enhance the experience the wine is served in Riedel glasses
- the tranquility of the garden – no crowds, no traffic just birdsong and the sound of the sea
- beautiful individually styled en-suite bedrooms using Colefax and Fowler, Nina Campbell and Jane Churchill fabrics and wallpapers. Elegant, calming and comfortable
- crisp white bed linen, Molton Brown toiletries, flat screen TV and Wifi
- the drawing room, sitting room and conservatory provide calm and elegant spaces to relax in
- dinner is a gourmet experience. Huw is an exceptional chef offering a four course menu which changes daily. All produce is not just locally but neighbourly sourced with freshly caught fish brought in from Appledore and vegetables grown in their own kitchen garden. Huw also provides an imaginative alternative vegetarian menu
- the three acres of magnificent garden tended by generations of clergy for our ultimate benefit
- lots to do – from National Trust properties and RHS gardens to extreme sports, castles and beaches
Huw and Sam are corporate escapees, who took to the hills to follow their dream.
In their previous lives, Huw was a surveyor and Sam headed up business sales for a major car rental company. They swapped a Georgian town house and corporate life in Bristol for a Georgian rectory on Exmoor in which to build the kind of civilised place to stay that they had always dreamed of staying at themselves. They really liked the jaw dropping beauty, the remoteness and the peace of the Exmoor coast which is a world away but still relatively accessible.
ReviewsLeave your own
Gary Marsden and partner: August 2012
Well, where do I start?! My partner and I stayed at the Old Rectory over the bank holiday weekend, and, having read some reviews and seen the website, we had pretty high expectations - high expectations that were exceeded by miles! Huw and Sam are the most amazing hosts - from the moment we arrived until the moment we left they were always on hand to help, friendly, attentive, professional yet relaxed - we were made to feel so welcome, as if we were friends rather than paying guests.
We came home happy and relaxed, and with so many wonderful memories. And we will most definitely be going back. The Old Rectory is a little corner of paradise.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
The Old Rectory hotel
Exmoor, Devon, England
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
The Old Rectory hotel
Exmoor, Devon, England