Boutique rural retreat with a foodie twist
Nestled in the heart of an historic and picturesque village, is this a restaurant with great rooms or a boutique hotel with a fab restaurant? Who cares? All you really need to know is that it’s the perfect escape, whether you’re intending to hole up in your room or explore this wonderful region.
Clearwell is a tiny village of less than 300 inhabitants, perfectly located to explore The Forest of Dean and The Wye Valley. The hotel is set in its own gardens and grounds – expect the odd duck – and has fantastic walks on its doorstep (some rooms are dog friendly too). Venture out and the activities are endless; from kayaking to climbing, foraging to visiting castles. Hari and Colin have put together some top tips to help – check them out here. If you fancy eating elsewhere then there are other options in the village too.
Tudor Farmhouse’s nearest big town is Monmouth and is an hour from Bristol and just over an hour to Cardiff or Birmingham. London’s a bit further at around 3 hours. There’s a railway station at Lydney (about half an hour in a taxi) but a car’s going to help get the best out of this area.
- The restaurant offers a great range of cuisine, much based around locally sourced ingredients. There’s also a tasting menu option if you feel like splashing out
- The rooms are in keeping with the age and style of this converted farmhouse, but they’re modern and stylish too
- Tudor Farmhouse welcomes all ages and has some rooms which are perfect for families – plus children under 6 stay for free
- Just down the road are the Clearwell caves, a fascinating maze of caves and caverns which bear witness to the mining industry which thrived here in the 19th century
- We love that the rooms are clearly demarcated into categories so you know exactly what you’re getting and can choose accordingly
- Hari and Colin have some great offers throughout the year focused on various themes, including food. Always a winner with us.
- 20 rooms and suites of varying sizes and facilities, but all thoughtfully put together
- The suites have their own sitting areas, two or which have sofa beds making them perfect for four
- Lovely bath or shower rooms (depending on which room you book) all with Bramley products
- All rooms have TVs, nespresso machines and mini fridges
- A superb restaurant offering meals throughout the day including an extensive buffet breakfast
- There’s a bar area in the main building which has a nice relaxed vibe
- Three rooms are dog friendly at a extra cost (note they are not allowed into the main building – but you can take them to the pub next door)
- Large gardens and grounds to which you are given free rein
Colin & Hari Fell moved from London to take over the running of Tudor Farmhouse from Hari’s parents and have spent much of the last 12 years upgrading the rooms and adding to the experiences people can enjoy whilst staying.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire