For stays of five days or more in July or August 2019, book between 1 February and 1 April and receive a 10% discount
Four very private en-suite units with king-size beds, their own front doors and private terraces provide a unique base for exploring and enjoying the best of French landscape, history and gastronomy. It’s a peaceful and tranquil haven with bonus of a swimming pool. At La MIllasserie, Alain and Byrne provide a perfect base for explorers who like to return to a comfortable, private and relaxing space.
“A rare find. I cannot say enough about the beautifully decorated, spacious rooms looking out on a forest.” TripAdvisor review
Situated amongst tranquil woodland in the uplands of the Dordogne in South West France yet just a few minutes drive to the ancient market villages of Lalinde, St. Alvere, and Tremolat.
In 20 minutes you can be in the historic city of Bergerac, 45 minutes to the restored Renaissance city of Sarlat and the two cradles of pre-history – Les Eyzies and the Lascaux Caves. An hour’s drive takes you to St. Emilion in the Bordeaux wine country and two hours to Bordeaux, one of the most beautiful cities in France.
The nearest airport and main train station are in Bergerac and there is a smaller train station in Lalinde.
- The privacy of your own entrance and the fact that each unit is independent of the others
- Lunching at any of the village bistros for a Perigordine meal, or splashing out at the local Michellin starred restaurants followed by an afternoon of wine tasting in the great local wineries. Alain and Byrne can supply lots of recommendations
- The craftsmanship of the building’s restoration work – beautifully and faithfully executed to a very high standard
- Returning home after a day of exploring the fantastic French countryside to relax by the pool
- Browsing round one of the many local antique shops and markets
- Every morning after breakfast your hosts are ready to chat and provide suggestions for daily touring of the chateaux, villages and historic sites of the beautiful region and make dinner reservations if required (like your own personal concierge service)
- Four spacious and well-designed individual rooms with their own private entrance off a beautiful courtyard garden and next to the manor house where the owners live. Each room can accommodate one or two adults and is individually furnished to an exceptionally high standard with huge American sized beds, high quality linens and carefully chosen antiques and paintings
- Contemporary en-suites with bath, strong shower and bathroom products
- Private terrace at the rear of each room which looks out into an ancient woodland. Very cool after a day in the sun
- Beautiful 5x10m swimming pool within landscaped grounds to share with other guests
- Breakfast taken either in your room, on your private terrace or in the lovely garden courtyard. Continental breakfast with fresh fruits, preserves, croissants, yoghurt and tea or coffee. Afternoon tea available on request
Alain is originally from nearby Bordeaux but lived in the US for over 30 years where he met Byrne in New York City, where Byrne was Professor of English and American Literature and Gay Studies at the City University of New York. They eventually moved upstate and Alain founded Alain Pioton Antiques in Hudson New York.
While Alain ran the antiques gallery they also operated their own very successful guest house but spent long holidays in this part of France using their house, La Millasserie, as a base from which to buy antiques for the gallery. They decided to move to France permanently and opened La Millasserie as a B&B.
Alain runs the B&B with help from Byrne who, although retired from teaching, is still publishing books. See Byrne’s page on AMAZON.
ReviewsLeave your own
Ed and Norm from Vancouver, Summer 2011
Spacious comfortable rooms delightfully free of electronics, bathrooms large enough to lounge in and a wonderful quiet setting are only the beginning of a memorable stay at La Millasserie. Bryne ensured that we knew about local restaurants even before we arrived and each day he reserved a table for two which guaranteed culinary memories to last until our next French junket.
Alain sent us off each morning with bellies full enough to match the thoughtful itinerary that Byrne planned with us daily. A swim in the pool at the end of the day’s touring, time to sit and read and then it was off to yet another gustatory discovery. Conversations about their past lives in the United States, explanations of current French politics, advice on wine and shopping . . . there simply weren’t enough hours in the day to see both the beautiful Perigord and get to know our engaging hosts.
Review by Ryan, 2010
In the fall of 2010 we rented two rooms in this beautiful B&B. This is truly a Four-Star hotel, complete with daily maid service. The linens, towels and King Size beds are all superb. We usually do not stay at B&B’s however these accommodations are more like a private cottage. Indeed, each unit has its own completely private patio, huge state of the art rain shower; the rooms are very large and furnished with usable antique furniture. La Millasserie has a delightfully peaceful tranquility and is still just minutes away from local villages. Byrne and Alain are the perfect hosts, at breakfast we would discuss our itinerary and they would often suggest other sites along the route, e.g. “try such and such chateau – it is fully furnished”. Personal recommendations truly are the type of information you can never get out of a guide book.
Review by Frederic
Parfait pour s'oxygéner les poumons et l'esprit, dans un cadre magnifique et très calme. De nombreuses ballades à proximité, le petit déjeuner au bord de la piscine, des chambres spacieuses en parfait état, des lits king size qu'il est difficile de quitter et des hôtes passionants, pleins d'humour et attentionnés. Forcément, après, le retour à la vie quotidienne est douloureux
We visited La Millasserie again, after having spent four nights there in August last year. Byrne and Alain are wonderful hosts and this time around it was really like visiting friends who know how to make their guests feel welcome. The B&B is also straight friendly and since there are only four rooms there, you get to meet interesting people. The rooms are spacious, the sleep is great, the Dordogne is beautiful, the nearby restaurants are excellent. If you are tired of wild parties and city life and need a relaxing break with your partner, we highly recommend this B&B. Oh, yes, I mustn't forget the wine... there are some excellent local wines, just ask the hosts for advice.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Domaine de la Millasserie B&B
The Dordogne, SW France
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Domaine de la Millasserie B&B
The Dordogne, SW France