ARCHITECTURAL MASTERY IN ANCIENT ITALY
Tucked away in a courtyard setting in the historic quarter of beautiful, unspoilt Nardò is this architect-designed sanctuary for two. The open plan living space, with its suspended romantic sleeping loft, is towered over by the original vaulted stone ceilings. Simply close Il Cubo’s massive wooden doors to escape in this secluded airy light-filled space with a nod to the past and a peaceful minimalistic interior or retreat to the private rooftop terrace to sip an aperitif under the stars
Nardò is truly a hidden gem and Il Cubo is an ideal base for exploring the magical Salento region in the heel of Italy’s Puglia (Apulia) region. Architecturally and historically unique, the town is far from the beaten tourist trails. The town has enough to keep you interested without venturing far; think Baroque piazzas with charming seasonal festivals, cathedrals, winding passageways and lovely rooftop views. The local shops and roadside stands are teaming with fresh produce, delicious wine, savory olive oil and seafood from the local waters.
The crystal-clear waters of the Ionian coast are less than five miles from Il Cubo and you have your choice of short treks through the pine woods to reach rocky remote sun bathing spots or you can be spoiled at white sand beach clubs with a reserved sun bed and a refreshing Aperol Spritz. Sailing, snorkeling and bicycling outings are easily scheduled. During the summer months, the region also offers a busy club scene for those that want to experience the spicier side of Salento.
Puglian treasures can also be enjoyed all year round; Lecce – with its exuberant Baroque architecture – Ortranto and UNESCO listed Alberobello are all easy day trips from Nardò.
By air you need to head to Brindisi or Bari, and a car is essential to make the most of this region.
- this is a simple but beautifully designed space. Airy, light and peaceful – Il Cubo is truly a special romantic retreat
- situated in a quiet courtyard in Nardò’s old town – close to its charming piazzas, shops and eateries – but secluded enough to not worry about street noise
- sitting on the terrace after a day’s exploring is one of life’s joys; the well-equipped kitchen allows cooking the region’s fresh bounty for your supper al fresco
- creative use of space includes two spiral stair cases, which may prove difficult for those with limited mobility, but add a sense of drama and romance to this lovely space
- while steeped in history and tradition, the area also has a new energy in part from the region’s gay former president and the unique artists and world-travelers who are starting to call Salento home
- a vaulted open plan space with a full kitchen, sitting and dining areas on the ground floor and a suspended sleeping loft above
- the private rooftop terrace – accessed by a spiral staircase – provides sun and shade for lounging, dining and listening to distant church bells
- beautifully furnished throughout with an eclectic mix of modern and antique
- the bathroom, complete with shower and bidet, is thoughtfully located on the sleeping loft level
- bath amenities give a resort-quality feel to this self-catering home as does the air con – great in summer
- Il Cubo has Wifi throughout and a Bluetooth Bose speaker so bring your favorite playlist
- cooks will enjoy the 4-hob cooktop, full-sized oven, ample refrigerator with separate freezer,washing machine and even a dishwasher
- Il Cubo has a five-night minimum policy (seven during peak season). Il Cubo is also available for monthly rentals at a greatly reduced rate in the off-season for those looking for a quiet space to write or work remotely.
American based Alison and Phil have travelled extensively through Italy and fell in love with the quiet charms of Nardò. They bought Il Cubo from its renowned German architect and love being able to share this little-known corner of Puglia.
ReviewsLeave your own
Omar and Noelia: February 2020
We enjoyed hugely the superb design and luxury of Il Cubo. It's a perfect hideout for couples. Sleeping under the stone arches is an experience in itself and the kitchen is perfect for cooking tasty dishes from local products. The terrace is a great place for drinks and chilling out. The Salento area is full of hidden treasures to be found and you can easily discover the area by bike, car or train. Nardo is a wonderful historical town with a lot of local life and really friendly people. Thank you so much for a lovely experience! Kiitos! Gracias!
Andrew: August 2017
Il Cubo is an interesting conversion of an old building. It's compact yet cleverly designed and is attractively furnished and very well-equipped, especially the kitchen. The roof terrace is welcome and whilst its view is not extensive it is private. Initially daunting, the spiral staircase and sleeping platform (with a super comfortable bed) grew on us. Alison, the owner, is clearly anxious to please her guests and could not have been more helpful; she provides masses of information about the property, Nardo and the surrounding area. Nardo is a pleasing, untouristy town, with a very appealing main square and a fine cathedral. It is a good base for exploring the Salento which does warrant exploration. An enjoyable stay in an unusual property.
Sina: October 2017
Il Cubo exceeded our expectations in every way and the Salento region of Puglia was perfect in early October. Everything you can ever need has been thought of in this charming and stylish loft – linen bathrobes, towels for the beach, well equipped kitchen and extra dishes and glassware near the terrace for a morning cup of tea or evening wine on the rooftop. You can tell the owner’s really want their guests to have a special holiday. We were provided detailed recommendations – and the food of Salento did not disappoint! There were lovely dining options within walking distance and we loved sitting outside at Café Parisi in Piazza Salandra. We went on outings to Lecce, Gallipoli and made the drive along the Adradic coast to the tip of the heel (don’t miss Tricase where Helen Mirren has invested in a hip little bar in a stunning little piazza). October’s weather was ideal - we were able to
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Nardò, Salento, Puglia, Italy
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Nardò, Salento, Puglia, Italy