ART DECO LUXURY
Step through the door of this stunning art deco boutique hotel and you can’t help but feel very Great Gatsby. Restored in the 1920s and 30s, the owners of this gay friendly boutique hotel have an amazing collection of art deco paintings and furniture and art nouveau that will take your breath away. An absolute must-stay for Art Deco fans.
Nestled in the Somme river valley in the Picardie region in Northern France, Le Macassar is based in the bustling town of Corbie, where history surrounds you. Known for the battles of WW1, the many war memorials are reminders of a tragic past. History apart, if you enjoy outdoor pursuits there’s plenty to do here and if you’d rather amble around Amiens, a lively city and site of a UNESCO world heritage cathedral, it’s only 15 minutes away. By car, Le Macassar is 1.5 hours from Paris and Calais and 2 hours from Brussels. Nearest airports are Paris Charles de Gaulle and Paris Beauvais which is very handy indeed.
- the welcome by owners Miguel and Ian is second to none. Treated like old friends, the outstanding, hospitable hosts encourage you to relax and enjoy a glass of fizz rather than rush to your room. Genuinely interested in their guests, but non-intrusive, they are faultless
- beautifully decorated, the original Art Deco antiques and furnishings whisk you back to the 1930’s
- the antiques themselves make this hotel worth a visit. Miguel and Ian have an impressive collection and will happily share information and stories about their finds.
- because the hotel is only around 1.5 hours from Calais and an hour from Paris, Le Macassar makes an ideal bolt hole for a weekend ‘en France’
- so often bathrooms disappoint, but with quality bath products, a rack on the freestanding bath for your book and a candle to set a romantic scene, these don’t
- breakfast is served when the guest wants, rather than at a specific time
- sometimes it’s hard to know where to eat on a short break, but Miguel and Ian are happy to advise, but remember that on Sunday evenings table d’hotes dinner is offered
- six large en suite rooms and suites with a mixture of modern and antique furniture, art and marble fireplaces. The price of the room includes evening cocktails and breakfast
- the rooms have CD players and WiFi access, books, mineral water and delicious chocolates
- the bathrooms, all lovely and spacious and some with whirlpool tubs are the perfect place to relax after a day exploring
- the rooms have their own carefully designed identity
- there are several rooms to relax in; dine in the gallery; relax in the Majorelle drawing room, play billiards in the art deco billiard room or mooch through the sunny courtyard garden
- a delicious breakfast of homemade and local produce is served in the dining room or on the terrace, at whatever time you please. And on Sunday evenings table d’hotes dinner is offered
Ian and Miguel moved to France from London to set up Le Macassar in 2001 having had a second home in the area for a number of years previous to this. They fell in love with the property on first sight. The fact that the interior was renovated in 1926 in high art deco style was a complete surprise and tremendous luck given that they had been collecting art deco furniture and art for quite some time before finding the property. They both have management backgrounds and love entertaining. Miguel also speaks five lanuages.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Corbie, Northern France
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Corbie, Northern France