A tranquil and romantic 17th century manor guest house with an emphasis on great local food and wine. Wine tours, tastings and courses make it the perfect base for all things wine related. This lesbian owned, gay friendly boutique B&B offers a truly unique experience.
An exclusive GOURMET WINE STAY PACKAGE is available.
“Heavenly from the first to the last drop. Our hosts not only provided great food and fascinating lessons in viniculture but were excellent company too.” Kirsty Lang, BBC journalist, and Misha Glenny, writer.
Situated on a hill surrounded by vineyards and in the heart of Loire Valley wine country and within the UNESCO World Heritage French national park. Nearby there are typical Loire Valley market towns, wineries and chateaus to visit but especially noted is Amboise with it’s chateau and chapel with the tomb of Leonardo DaVinci – well worth a visit.
The nearest international airport is in Nantes but there is also a good train service to Saumur from Paris. Staying here is best with a car, but remember Sue and Micaela offer bespoke tours too.
- Walking and cycling around the local vineyards and along riverbanks and stopping for a picnic
- The wine expertise of the friendly owners which is delivered in a fun and unstuffy way
- The sense of complete escape amidst beautiful countryside and traditional French life
- The food which is all homemade and locally sourced where possible. A lot of the ingredients come from La Grande Maison’s own orchard and pottager (vegetable and flower garden)
- Eating out at one of the many local restaurants ranging from traditional rustic to gourmet Michelin starred
- Relaxing and reading a book in one of the tranquil hideaways within the garden
- Four double rooms each with good quality bed linen. Two are within the manor house and two are garden rooms within the converted Vinehouse and Bakehouse. All rooms have views over the gardens or the vineyards and are simply and elegantly furnished
- All rooms have contemporary en-suite bath or shower rooms with luxurious towels and handmade soaps
- French Loire Valley tours and courses organised by the expert owners – Sue and Micaela. Choose from a wine tasting supper through to a three day tour of wineries, vineyards and wine caves. Something for all abilities from beginner to connoisseur. Fun, informal and informative. Taste, discuss and buy. And don’t forget to see La Grande Maison’s very own wine caves and tunnels dating back to the 17th century.
- Wonderful French rustic walled garden with lots of places to read, relax and drink wine including the pigeonniere with its fine view over the vineyards
- Breakfast in the Grand Hall, family kitchen or the garden in the sun. Full continental breakfast. Feast on figs, peaches and walnuts fresh from the orchard in Summer
- Try out the wine sampling supper or three course dinner with delicious fresh local food including wonders such as oven baked salmon and tornados of beef in a mushroom marsala sauce
- Bikes and picnic hampers are available – explore local vineyards, riverbanks and lakes
- Well stocked wine library
- There is also a romantic self catering river cottage nearby called LA PEITE MAISON.
There is not much that Sue and Micaela don’t know about wine. They created the original Loire Valley tour package back in 2004 and have been building on their knowledge and experience ever since.
Both originally from Brighton, Micaela’s background is in hotels and computer software and Sue worked in the wine business. They both fell in love with La Grande Maison in 2004 and now enjoy sharing their passion for wine and the Loire Valley.
Read Sue and Micaela’s interview on our blog and their guide to the Loire on our blog.
ReviewsLeave your own
Mary Rose Zink: October 2019
Stayed here with two other women. It was an amazing place. The small touches, the high level of quality, the proprietors' exceptional knowledge and suggestions were fabulous. Magical property!
Gretchen: June 2015
Micaela and Sue's hospitality was fantastic. We visited them for 4 days as a piece of our honeymoon, and it was our favorite place. The B&B is picturesque and welcoming. The garden is a peaceful place to enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, or a picnic dinner. Every evening the sunsets over the vines were beautiful. We also chose to take their 2-day private wine tour (in the Land Rover) which took us to little, organic/biodynamic wineries with whom they have developed relationships over time. All the wines were great, and so inexpensive! I wish I had more space because I can't say enough good things.
Evan and Paul, Washington DC : May 2015
We had an amazing time at La Grande Maison. Sue & Micaela tailored the vine adventures to our tastes and gave us the full benefit of their expertise in wine and the region. Every day brought new and unexpected pleasures, from an epic riverside picnic to simply lounging about the edenic chateau gardens. One winemaker we visited even opened a special bottle of bubbly to celebrate our honeymoon, a testament to Sue & Micaela's relationships with the community. Simply wonderful!
Mary Macspadden : June 2014
Sue and Micaela are wonderful hosts. They have a beautiful Bed and Breakfast in La Grande Maison and we are very happy to have had the opportunity to stay on a 1-night stopover. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, including the beautiful wines we were offered. The Coteaux du Layon has been searched out many times since! Having been traveling for 2 mths through Europe it was a welcomed change to be hosted in lesbian-owned accommodation. Thank you Sue and Micaela!
Nick and Nick - Hereford UK
This was an ideal stop off en route back home from the Dordogne to the UK. It's a rambling rustic house with a courtyard garden full of wild flowers and shrubs and several interesting aspects including a tower-like pigeonnier at one end. Micaela and Sue are charming hosts and particularly helpful - their bespoke wine trips would be a great way to spend a holiday in the Loire Valley. The rooms were cool and spacious and after a boisterous welcome the trio of Springer spaniels treated us like old friends. Breakfast was excellent with lots of home-made goodies. Highly recommended.
"Found La Grand Maison on TripAdvisor and a newer EU travel website for great places to stay, Further Afield. I have fair but high expectations and have rarely been let down by TripAdvisor. La Grande Mason met and surpassed every expectation. Initially, I was worried about finding it and that it would be too out of the way. A GPS using coordinates was easy...arrived easily and was greeted with a marvelous glass of wine. Micaela showed us to our room and it was just perfect. Fluffy crisp duvet, beautiful clean marvelous bathroom with terrific shower, magnificent welcoming grounds with terrific nooks & crannies that call you to watch sun setting, grape vines exploding with vintage, birds singing and if you are interested darling dogs to give companionship.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
La Grande Maison
Loire Valley, France
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
La Grande Maison
Loire Valley, France