CONTEMPORARY, FRIENDLY AND EXOTIC
This 16th Century manor house has been renovated by Kevin and Stuart in a modern style with delicate silks and Buddha carvings giving it an Eastern twist. Runner up in 2011 ‘Britain’s Best B&B’, Strete Barton House really deserves the accolades it has received as a comfortable gay friendly boutique B&B gem on the Devon coast.
The Daily Telegraph : One of the best B&B’s in the West Country 2014
Situated in the picturesque village of Strete five miles from Dartmouth in South Hams area of Devon, this chic B&B has panoramic views across Start Bay. It is only a mile from the award-winning beaches of SLAPTON and Blackpool Sands and just a stroll from two highly recommended award-winning restaurants in the village.
The sailing town of Salcombe is 15 miles away and the South West Coastal path is only 30 metres if you would rather avoid the car and spot yachts from the shore. If you have left the car at home, Totnes railway station is three hours from London Paddington and 20 minute’s taxi ride away.
- the South Hams area of Devon isn’t known as the English Riveria for nothing – the coast is stunning. Check out Blackpool Sands, TORCROSS AND SLAPTON SANDS.
- exploring Dartmouth, an atttactive workaday harbour town with good shops and cafes but also home to the fancy Mitch Tonks SEA FOOD RESTAURANT but don’t forget that he also has a takeaway FISH AND CHIP SHOP TOO.
- the contemporary lounge where you can sink into sofas with a magazine after a bracing walk along nearby beaches plus panoramic views from the bedrooms that you can soak up while you decide what to do with your day
- sampling a hot stone massage and having a facial before supper out in one of the award-winning local restaurants in the village
- pooch can come too if you stay in the Cottage Suite – which is perfect as there are lots of great places to walk and dog friendly beaches to explore on the doorstep of Strete Barton House
- the homemade cake and warm welcome that is just what you need after a long journey. Very very civilised!
- five double en-suite bedrooms with luxurious king or super-king sized beds including a French sleigh bed and a full four poster with silk runners and cushions that give the rooms their Eastern fee
- there is also an adjacent cottage suite with a private entrance leading into a private hallway and living room appointed with a stylish leather sofa and easy chair to sink into before a cosy fire. The suite also has a large double room with sea views with WC and basin en-suite upstairs and a full bathroom downstairs. This suite is dog friendly too
- all rooms you are welcomed with fresh flowers, fluffy towels, DVD/CD player, wall-mounted flat screen TVs and free WiFi, plus hairdryers, radio alarms (if you really need it…) teas, coffee, water and a selection of magazines to flick through
- a drawing room with comfy sofas, armchairs and an open fireplace
- while you admire views from the terrace, you can enjoy a lazy morning starting with a delicious breakfast made with local ingredients, local farm yoghurts and home made fruit salads in the relaxed an informal dining room
- an expert therapist can be booked for a range of treats from hot stone massages to holistic facials and full body massage with exfoliation
Kevin, who is from Devon, always dreamed of running a B&B since his childhood and convinced Stuart, originally from South Africa, to give it a go. They had both spent some time in the South Hams on holiday and fell in love with the dramatic un-spoilt coastline, fabulous walks and beaches, as well as the wonderful seafood restaurants. That was enough and as soon as the decision was made it took just two weeks to find “the” place and sign the contract! For them, there is nothing quite like wakening up, looking out the window and getting a sea view – whatever the weather!
ReviewsLeave your own
Katie and Paul: Spring 2013
Great stay at Strete Barton House. Kevin and Stuart made us feel really at home. Very comfortable and impeccably kept; a warming fire in the lounge and cosy sofas to curl up on with a book (and a cup of tea or something stronger) after being blown around on the coast. Not quite a car free stay but relaxed evenings having to walk only a few steps to the equally welcoming The Laughing Monk restaurant next door. We hope to return to both and explore the South Hams area further.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Strete Barton House
South Devon Coast, England
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Strete Barton House
South Devon Coast, England