DESIGNER SECLUSION WITH A TWIST
The 1920s origins of this beautiful woodland escape have been enhanced with a stunning modern extension, creating a stylish and welcoming space. Sit back and survey your gardens, wander a few minutes to a two Michelin starred eatery or explore the delights of Dartmoor. This timber clad haven has it all.
These guys have a well deserved 2017 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence
The house sits serenely in its own acre of lovely gardens, surrounded by woodland and the larger estate of The Gidleigh Park hotel with its fabulous restaurant (one of several great places to eat nearby). There’s the beautiful hamlet of Gidleigh a gentle stroll through country lanes and slightly further the bustling town of Chagford. It’s an unpretentious but lovely gem of a town that makes you feel like you’ve discovered somewhere yourself – but luckily somewhere that already has good shops and restaurants.
Smack bang in the centre of Devon, One Gidleigh Park is a great base for exploring land and sea; Dartmoor’s wild and rugged beauty – some of which you can access on foot from the house – or the unique and varied coastlines of the county.
Salcombe, Torquay and Exeter are all easy trips out – the latter having good rail and road connections. We are also massive fans of National Trust owned Drogo Castle with its Lutyens designed majesty, which is 15 minutes’ drive.
- a blend of modern and traditional architecture has been achieved here beautifully, with light and airy rooms flowing from the inside to the outside. The result is a house which is large, warm and bright enough to enjoy spending time inside
- Adam and Stephen have created a stunning garden here. The grounds are beautiful and just incredibly peaceful. It feels so much more remote than it really is. There is an abundance of natural wildlife, lots of which wander through the gardens
- the cook’s kitchen is great and the idea of holing up here with a week’s supply from one of the Chagford deli’s – plus the lovely welcome pack provided – is a delight. But then you’d miss all the great stuff to explore
- and combining these two, the gardens have raised vegetable patches which you are encouraged to help yourself to when in season
- the intimate feel of the house makes it perfect for two, but there’s plenty of room for two more
- two double en-suite bedrooms with one king sized bed and one large double with quality Egyptian cotton bedding
- there are two wood burners in the house, but it also has underfloor heating
- the usual Wifi, but additionally hard wired music systems with a large musical selection. There’s also a TV and DVD player with a selection of films on DVD
- total privacy in the wooded garden at the rear leading directly on to the woods and Dartmoor
- small to medium sized dogs are welcome. This is ideal walking country and Adam and Stephen supply details of a number of personal favourite walks directly from the door of the house.
- open plan living space opening directly on to two wooden decks both with outdoor garden furniture front and rear makes this one of the most relaxed cottages ever
Stephen and Adam met in London, where they both embarked on careers in film production. After a while they found themselves hankering for a place to get out of town to and were drawn to Chagford where Adam spent part of his childhood
One Gidleigh Park was a wreck when they discovered it but they loved it’s character and the unique private, yet accessible, location. After restoring the house in stages over the last 20 years they’re now enjoying sharing the property and the beautiful Chagford area with their visitors.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
One Gidleigh Park
Chagford, Devon, England
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
One Gidleigh Park
Chagford, Devon, England