ARCHITECTURAL TOUR DE FORCE
This stunningly unique gay owned guesthouse with just four rooms presents a totally different dimension to staying in a B&B in the UK. Expertly designed, ideally located and with wonderful hosts.
“Kaywana Hall brings a touch of glamour to idyllic Devon” Metro London
Kaywana Hall is set in 12 acres of protected woodland, but beyond the gates of Kaywana Hall, KINGSWEAR is within easy walking distance and from there the ferry across to Dartmouth which, with its many independent shops, cafés and restaurants, is a lovely way to idle away a day. Particularly worth a visit is the National Trust’s COLETON FISHACRE, another architectural masterpiece, this time in the Arts and Crafts style with stunning art deco interiors
Four hours from London, five from Manchester and three and a half hours from Birmingham. Closest train station Totnes.
- Where do we start? The building – a masterpiece in contemporary design which sits comfortably in an ancient landscape. Simple, spacious, light and embracing
- This is reflected internally with the rooms feeling more like mini suites rather than standard guest bedrooms. Their position successfully gives a sense of privacy and seclusion and the personal touches such as original art works and reading materials make each feel very different
- Tony and Gordon are relaxed hosts despite giving a high level of service more in tune with the smartest urban hotels. Breakfasts are mini feasts which boast home made breads, preserves as well as fresh fruit and daily specials
- The heated swimming pool (summer only) is a rare added bonus and one that makes the stay at Kaywana all the more special
- Four en-suite double rooms which are a few paces from the main house. Beds and bed linens are of an exceptionally high quality and extremely comfortable
- Bathrooms are uncluttered and have both bath tub and separate walk-in rainforest showers. Luxury bathrobes and slippers provided
- Each room has its own seating area with widescreen televisions, Bose Bluetooth speaker and Wifi. Mini fridges are in each room stocked with fresh milk, bottled water and lemon. Tea and coffee making facilities are also provided in each room
- Externally, each room has a private terrace
- Breakfasts, which are relaxed and informal, have the choice of a daily special as well as the traditional full English if preferred. Breakfasts are served in the main house
- The heated swimming pool is open to guests from 1st May to 31st September. Guests are also welcome to walk through the 12 acres of ancient woodlands which during spring have a stunning blanket of bluebells
The love of architecture is a central theme to the lives of Tony and Gordon as they left their London loft conversion to take the massively bold step of rescuing and restoring Kaywana Hall, one of four distinct ‘butterfly houses’ so named because of the unique shape of the roof. With the help of an inspiring and passionate local architect Kaywana Hall became a project which would have defeated most of us but not Tony and Gordon. The Hall today is a testament to their vision and their current commitment to providing a B&B which is in a league of its own.
- All of the heating and hot water at Kaywana Hall is provided via a wood boiler which is fuelled by wood from their own land
- 2019 has seen them move away from plastic and they are now providing water in glass bottles as well as replacing single use toiletries with refillable bottles
- All the cleaning products they use are 100% natural with no nasty chemicals
ReviewsLeave your own
Richard & Alex Oxfordshire: July 2012
A truly wonderful experience! Exceptional quality throughout with impressive attention to detail, matched only by the warmth of welcome and a level of service seldom found anywhere. A real treat – Thank you!
Rob & Andy: June 2012
A beautiful place and we wished we had booked more than two nights. Any stay away from home needs to be that extra bit special and this place is!
Kevin & John: London July 2012
What a wonderful place! A gem with wonderful service and meticulous attention to every detail. We will be back.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Kingswear, Devon, England
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Kingswear, Devon, England