Robert and William are offering Further Afield travellers a unique 5% discount. You need to mention Further Afield when you book.
A LITTLE PIECE OF SPANISH HEAVEN
Two beautiful self catering apartments plus one yurt each sleeping two in stunning locations nestled between the enchanting villages of the Alpujarras on the southern slopes of the Sierra Nevada National Park, with magnificent views and a fabulous garden to lose yourself in. This place is a world away from the hustle and bustle of life.
The Cortijo is located high in the Alpujarras near the villages of Pitres and Portugos and 25km from the larger town of Orgiva. This is a unique area of Spain, rich in culture and artisan history, and situated on the edge of the National Park of the Sierra Nevada with a backdrop of snowcapped mountain ranges. Yet the coast is within 60 minutes drive and Granada within one hour and twenty minutes drive. You can also be ski-ing in the Sierra Nevada within one and a half hours.
There are regular flights into Malaga (two hours away by car) and Almeria (two and a half hours). The easiest way to get to Cortijo Opazo is by hire car. Alternatively the owners can advise on bus travel or arrange for a car to meet you at the airport.
- The emphasis here is on outdoor living, stunning views, tranquillity and discovering the surrounding countryside on foot – you are literally doorstepping the ancient mule tracks which take you across the valleys and mountains
- After a full day exploring the local countryside on foot your perfect hosts, William and Robert, are only too happy to prepare a delicious gourmet home cooked dinner prepared from local seasonal ingredients many of which are grown in their own garden.
- The circular walk from the apartment up through the gorge and past the bakers provides the perfect excuse for a pit stop – morning coffee with free tapas! But there are walks for all abilities from meandering gently from village to village to high altitude trekking above 3000 metres where snow can be found all year
- During the Summer months, the cool air flowing down the valley like a natural air conditioner
- Breakfast on the terrace taking in the birdsong, stunning views and morning sun
- The beautiful garden is an oasis of calm with nooks and crannies in which to hide yourself away with a book or just to kick back and enjoy the view
- Robert and Williams refreshing attitude to environmental sustainability and ‘greening’ their landscape. They are keen to support their local community using local trades and fresh produce for the properties as well as recycling and investing in renewable energy which includes solar panels for hot water and a heat exchanger for central heating. You can read more about their life on our GUEST BLOG
- Two beautiful adjacent self catering apartments each sleeping two people – La Corona and El Lujar – designed around space and privacy plus a yurt within its own private garden terrace
- The apartments have bathrooms equipped with jet “Body Spa” showers – wet room style, underfloor heating throughout and log burners to take the chill off those cooler evenings and fully equipped kitchens
- Each apartment has a private patio which leads on to a beautiful communal garden which the owners have lovingly created over the last few years just for your enjoyment
- Both apartments have French doors leading out onto the patios and the garden is dotted with terraces, tables and chairs and outdoor loungers tempting you to kick back and spend the afternoon lounging in the garden taking in the view and enjoying the wildlife soundscape including the tinkling of goat bells. La Corona has a glorious south facing covered veranda with spectacular views across the mountains. El Lujar is surrounded by the garden, having a private courtyard and patio with fabulous views across the valley. These apartments can be rented on a self catering or on a fully catered basis
- There is also a yurt sleeping two known as the Green Mountain Yurt situated in its own private garden terrace of approximately 500 square metres. This unique accommodation offers you the chance to stay in a beautiful hand crafted yurt and enjoy the luxury of a well equipped self catering holiday rental under canvas and stars. Along with the charming yurt dwelling you will have your own covered outdoor kitchen, a private Green Mountain Yurt ‘eco’ bathroom, and plenty of space for your exclusive use, to relax, read and meditate, or just enjoy the sights and sounds of nature from the hills and valleys around you
- William and Robert also offer an all inclusive guided walking holiday for groups of up to six people
Robert and William moved to this beautiful spot in 2003 and started with the restoration of the ruined Cortijo converting it into a house for themselves to live in all year. The two smaller self catering apartments soon followed. The development has not stopped there with their love of gardening keeping them busy in the interim years. They have embarked on the mammoth task of converting 1.2 hectares of land into a wonderful garden for people to enjoy. They are now at the stage where not only guests enjoy the space but they hold summer classical concerts in the garden and open up to the public once a week as well. You can read more about their life on their GUEST BLOG.
ReviewsLeave your own
Deb and Sue: October 2016
We stayed for 10 days at the start of October and would rate everything - location, accommodation, food, garden - with 5 stars! Owners, William and Robert generously share their garden, local knowledge and walking routes. The latter were easy to follow, varied and beautiful. The meal they prepared on our arrival was delicious and we were impressed to find more than 10 vegetarian dishes on their menu. The holiday exceeded our expectations and we would thoroughly recommend C. Opazo. Deb & Sue.
Callum Wyllie: August 2014
My partner and I had a wonderfully relaxing week in the La Corona apartment at Cortijo Opazo. We’d wanted somewhere to just relax and de-stress from busy city life and this was ideal, with many happy hours spent reading on the shady terrace or, when we wanted, out in the sunny garden. We had two excellent meals prepared by William and served on our terrace by Robert as the sun set – beautifully fresh home-cooked food, several steps above the local restaurant fare. Overall, a restful and reinvigorating holiday. Heartily recommended.
Neil, Chris, Michael and Tony" booked whole house for a long weekend in May 2012
"I just wanted to say thank you for making our stay in the Alpujarra very special. It was a fantastic introduction to the area and we will definitely be returning again. Everything about Cortijo Opazo was just perfect and it is situated in the most beautiful setting imaginable. We were very impressed with the very high standard of the accommodation and totally taken with the extensive gardens. The location was perfect for exploring the many small villages in the area and it really helped that there was a lot of local information available in the apartments. The meal you cooked for us on our last night was phenomenal and made the stay even more memorable. I will definitely recommend you to friends and sincerely hope we can come and visit again.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Andalucia, Southern Spain
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Andalucia, Southern Spain