Upgrade to a chilled bottle of Champagne on arrival if you mention Further Afield when you book
The views from this stunning self catering contemporary barn for two are breathtaking – this is the Lake District landscape at its very best. Meanwhile, the quality of interior design is rarely found in these parts and is enough to keep you inside looking out.
Hart Barn is part of a small complex of former farm buildings in the small hamlet of Hartsop. The owners live next door but it feels very private and not at all overlooked.
Hartsop sits deep in the stunning and sparsely populated Ullswater valley two miles south of the village of Patterdale and only a few miles from the key Lake District centres of Windermere and Ambleside.
Five hours drive from London and two hours from Manchester by car. The nearest train station is at Windermere and from there it is 20 minutes in a taxi.
- more than the sum of all the parts: the overall level of design, attention to detail, comfort and location make this a perfect place for a romantic break with your partner or a real treat simply for yourself
- Helen is very lovely. She is on hand to help with any questions or top tips but she is very respectful of privacy
- in addition to bespoke oak furniture the lighting in the barn is well chosen with a LED glass chandelier designed by Iestyn Davis forming a centre piece
- Patterdale Valley is a hidden gem of the region easily accessible but which retains a sense of remote isolation
- every day you could go a different walk and never get back in the car until the day you leave
- there is a subtle romantic feel to the barn – the kind of place where you want to simply shut the doors behind and you and never leave no matter how inviting the surrounding landscape might be!
- three storey barn conversion designed to accommodate, very comfortably, a maximum of two guests on three levels
- as you enter, the light, streamlined and exceptionally well equipped kitchen provides ample space to both cook and eat. Its striking curved red wall and under floor heating also prepares you for the high level of architecture and design which prevails throughout the property
- off the kitchen is a utility room ideal for washing and drying clothes and leaving muddy boots
- a bespoke staircase takes you out of the kitchen into the double height living space on the first floor which looks out across the Patterdale Valley and provides all the comfort and facilities you need: L- shaped sofa, handcrafted furniture, wood burning stove, flat screen TV with cinema system and Sky Movies package, iPod docking station, Wifi access and Telephone
- the spacious limestone clad bathroom with freestanding bath and separate power shower is off the hallway on the first floor. L’Occitane complimentary toiletries and White Company towels add the finishing touches
- balconied bedroom on the second floor with a very comfortable upholstered king size bed with Egyptian cotton bedding, and a softly curved capacious oak furniture.
- outside, leading off from the living room level, there is a patio area and small terraced garden which leads out into the wider landscape
Hart Barn is a joint creation by Helen Griffiths and Richard Mason. As an architect Richard was the driving force behind over all design and remodeling of the barn which was totally gutted and renovated in 2010. Helen, formerly a marketing professional in London, provides the interior flair and is acutely aware of the small details which lift the quality of the barn easily above the level of accommodation which is usually offered in this region. They have put their heart and soul into this project and there has been no skimping on the budget at any point and it shows.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Hartsop, Lake District, England
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Hartsop, Lake District, England