The Scarlet is a chic, design-led boutique hotel in Mawgan Porth, Cornwall. Adults only, with its stylish and luxuriously decked out rooms, clifftop location, stunning sea views, spa and superb restaurant, it’s ideal for a romantic couples weekend break.
“The feeling is one of sybaritic relaxation, and don’t miss the sunset, whatever you do.” The Telegraph.
The Scarlet is a really lovely place to plan your get together or celebration. There are all sorts of options depending on what you’re looking for, but check out their wedding page to get an idea of the type of individualism that is on offer here at The Scarlet – the chance to make your day truly unique.
Spectacular cliff top site overlooking Mawgan Porth beach with far reaching views over the rugged Cornish coast in North Cornwall.
You will not want to leave this eco chic boutique hotel but if you had to you could walk along the Cornish Coastal path or pop into Padstow for some local colour.
- the arresting and nature inspired bespoke pieces of art and sculpture dotted throughout the hotel which stop you in your tracks
- its designed as an escape for adults only. They also make it very clear that lone travellers are very welcome, and indeed provide good discounts
- the ‘unique’ rooms have a roof top lounge or pod accessed by a spiral staircase with spectacular sea views from amongst the sea thrift
- the clever use of levels and natural light to create variety of chilled out spaces to relax, eat, drink and take in the panoramic views
- plunging into the open air chlorine free pool… invigorating! And then climbing into the seaweed logfired hot tub with an ocean view…..blissful
- striding out for a bracing cliff top coastal path walk
- enjoying luxury without guilt. The Scarlet’s carbon footprint is only a quarter of the average building of this size. They use wood chips produced as waste by a local company to fuel a biomass boiler, the pool is warmed using solar panels, the ‘grey’ water is used to flush the loos and rainwater tops up the pool and washes the car. Even the flip-flops in the spa are made from recycled car tyres. And the list goes on
- beautifully designed rooms arranged in clusters over five levels which gets round the usual dull hotel room layout and ensures that each room makes the most of the dramatic sea views. Each room has its own private balcony or courtyard. There are five categories ranging from ‘Just right’ to ‘Indulgent”. A truely authentic eco chic boutique hotel
- ensuite bathrooms: most with a range of glamorous freestanding baths and walk in shower combinations. The design reflects the natural world.
- hotel restaurant: As you would expect the philosophy is honest, seasonal and local wherever possible meaning that the menu changes regularly. Menu options have included such things as rabbit and damson stew with lemon thyme suet dumplings, fried skate wing with red wine and Jerusalem artichokes, and honey cinnamon baked quiches with raspberries and cinema creme Chatilly.
- Lush Spa with a range of facilities and treatments including indoor swimming pool (13x4m), silent and softly lit tented treatment zone, Ayurveda massage and other treatments, hammam used for mud and wrap treatments
- chemical free outdoor pool filtered by reeds with huge granite diving stone plus two log fired seaweed bath/hot tubs looking out to sea
- Surfing lessons, climbing (rock and tree), deep-sea fishing, horse riding across beaches, kayaking and eco-courses are all available
- Plasma TVs, CD/DVD with Ipod connection and a library of DVDs and CDs
Emma, Debbie and Rebecca are sisters with a strong sense of place in their native Cornwall. Their desire was to create a space they could share with their families and friends – a place where they could laugh, recharge and cherish.
Quite simply their vision was delicious food, deep comfort and a welcome for all – very different to the elitest hotels that pass for luxury. But the way they have done it has pushed boundaries and shifted some big perceptions. They have shown that luxury and style can coexist very happily with an environmental ethos. They are all mothers but ‘Scarlet’ is their collective baby. Like her name she is bold and reflects their combined daring and love for life.
ReviewsLeave your own
Douglas Streatfield, 2013
Had a lovely break with my partner - it was short and very very sweet. Probably one of the best mini breaks I have had in a hotel in the UK - and a great Spa as well.
Arriving after a long drive from surrey we were greeted by a friendly lady that came to check us in and set the standard of relaxed and efficient service that was maintained throughout the stay. There seems a lot of staff members around and they move very fast and are very helpful!
Lots of other great things to say -but you have to go and experience it yourself! There are lounges, pools, tubs, terraces, libraries, bars and nooks and crannies to settle down in. All in all a great stay in a wonderful place.
Review by Lotte Jeffs, Travel Editor at Diva Magazine
It’s good for the conscience to know that the hotel here you’ve chosen to spend a gratuitously indulgent weekend is eco-friendly; that when you order another glass of champagne in the hot tub, a polar bear doesn’t loose its Arctic home. It’s even better when a hotel is modest with its environmental credentials, because when you’ve splashed out on a luxurious trip away you don’t want to feel guilty for using a towel, or be shivering under the duvet because the solar panels haven’t seen enough sun.
Cornwall is beautiful, I had the most amazing, relaxing bank holiday at The Scarlett which was topped off on the drive back to London with a stop in nearby Padstow - a picture postcard harbour village and home to Rick Stein’s seafood empire. I wish we could have stayed longer as there was so much to see but I’m more than happy to have a reason to go back.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.