Lovingly restored, Wellhayes Barn provides seclusion and escape in an unforgettable setting. This gay-friendly lakeside house has been stylishly renovated; think big metal framed windows making the most of the setting, designer furniture mixed with the owner’s carpentry creations all surrounded by beautiful woodland.
Head down the track from a quiet country lane and you emerge beside a stunning lake in the heart of a woodland paradise. Wellhayes Barn has a private terrace overlooking the lake – James and Emma’s home (which can also sometimes be rented) is set away from the barn, giving you privacy to enjoy the views across the lawned gardens and the rolling hills beyond.
This rural idyll is close to Lyme Regis and its stunning Jurassic coastline. Head south to the coastal delights of Exmouth. Alternatively, explore the maze of beautiful laneways, villages and towns that characterise this region; places like Bridport and its antiques market, which is only 20 minutes away, or slightly further the Iron Age hill fort on Eggardon with its amazing views. Or don’t, and just gaze across your private lake.
- You feel the stresses of “real” life lifting as you pull up on the gravel drive, surrounded by trees and water
- The wood burner at the end of the bed in the super master suite
- The house is designed in a way that makes it a perfect bolthole for two, but you can accommodate four more if you need to
- The character of the owners is in evidence but they’re far from intrusive and you easily forget they’re next door (unless you’ve rented that too anyway)
- The view across the lake is beautiful and you could easily pass the day(s) just taking that in
- Two/three bedrooms across two floors – one on the ground floor, a sleeping alcove off the 1st floor landing and a huge master suite
- Downstairs shower room and large en-suite to the master
- Open plan living and kitchen area downstairs, with sofas overlooking the lake and woodland, internet TV with FreeSat
- Great kitchen for prepping the local produce that James and Emma are massive fans of – there’s an AGA for slow roasting (complete with handbook)
- You have a private decked area for making the most of the lake just outside your front door
- There’s also a well kitted out utility room
James and Emma slowly brought the Barn and Wellhouse back to life from near dereliction and have created an oasis of calm. James’ background as a furniture designer is in evidence throughout the Barn – there’s a particularly lovely rocking chair in the living room – and their personal style is stamped throughout.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.