View-filled modern coastal space
A unique, modern, eco-friendly holiday house for two (or a cosy four) nestled in a coastal peninsular on Skye with the most stunning views imaginable. With every turn there’s a view across rugged, unspoilt croft land and the tidal coast and cliffs of Loch Bracadale beyond. Fantastic walks from the door or a superb base from which to explore all of the Island of Skye. When the weather is wild you can stay inside this inspiring and cosy home – you might actually wish for wild weather for an excuse to stay inside.
Almost disappearing into its stunning island croft land, the Hen House sits on the Minguinish Peninsula with its abundance of walks and hikes through wild landscapes onto beaches or to the Cuillin range for expert climbing. Nearby you’ve the Talisker whiskey distillery for an interesting afternoon’s tour in the village of Carbost, a friendly Island pub with good food and music, community owned small shop and cool little coffee venue. But you know what, really you come to The Hen House to escape and unwind.
The nearest airport is Inverness a two and a half hour drive.
- The views. Enough said… Just breathtaking
- The way the space has been designed to capture the light and make the house feel inviting on the darkest of days
- For the coldest of Skye days light the Morse woodburning stove and cozy up with those views
- Walking out of the front door and being immediately in the most stunning ancient landscape. A walker and twitcher’s heaven with hikes suitable for all levels
- The nearby beaches are amazing, with bays and clear waters – dark volcanic sand with streaks of white shell sand. Who needs the Caribbean?
- The Hen House has appeared in numerous articles, publications and TV programs the building has won awards and can now be seen in the exhibition of award winning Scottish design in the V&A Dundee, so you know exactly what you’re getting
- Although this house has a worthy architectural pedigree it is a humble building designed to hide with its quiet sun and wind bleached larch cladding
- Double bedroom on the ground floor
- Downstairs bathroom with bath and shower over, plus another small room with an excellent ecological modern waterless toilet
- Well fitted kitchen in the open plan living space which has views down to the loch through expansive floor to ceiling windows
- Being on one level makes it easier for those less mobile
- Mezzanine level with reading nook with the possible option on request of either a further king sized bed for a couple or twin beds for friends or children
- Wood burner in the living space which warms the whole house, logs provided
- Wifi, Bluetooth and TV with freesat (please remove this, there is no tv)
- Despite only one bathroom the house can be set up for two couples (good friends) or a small family on request, this would have an extra fee
Kate and Nick moved to Skye in 2009 in order to build a modern house in collaboration with Rural Design Architects. Kate is a designer and artist who worked in publishing for over 25 years. Nick is a University Lecturer in film and documentary and is now sharing the experience of the Highlands with visiting students on practice based field trips.
They have collaborated on three builds with Rural Design, project managing and physically building the Blackhouse, in which they live, The Hen House and the Studio which is also part of the Further Afield collection.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
The Hen House
Carbost, Isle of Skye
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
The Hen House
Carbost, Isle of Skye