Amanda and Paddy are offering Further Afield travellers a bottle of sparkling South African wine on arrival, but only if you mention Further Afield when you enquire.
A magnificent gay friendly luxury country house and gourmet getaway, ideal for small groups on a variety of accommodation options, set amidst the backdrop of the world famous Kruger National Park and the lush landscape of The Jock of the Bushveld Conservancy. A perfect safari base from which to see the big five.
Trip Advisor ‘Certificate of Excellence’ every year since 2013!
The Kruger National Park, which covers some 7,500 square miles, is situated in north- eastern South Africa on the border with Mozambique. umSisi House is situated just 15 minutes from the Numbi Gate entrance to the park in the province of Mpumalanga between the towns of White River and Hazyview. The house sits in its own 60 hectares (150 acres) of pristine Bushveld and far away from the masses and touring crowds.
There are several options to reach umSisi house: Fly into Johannesburg and hire a car and drive approximately four and half hours through the beautiful terrain of South Africa; fly into Johannesburg and take a connecting flight to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport and from there hire a car and drive just 15 minutes to umSisi house. Transfers can be arranged but a vehicle is recommended to ensure you get the most from your time in this Kruger region.
- Amanda and Paddy are gregarious and wonderfully warm people who are relaxed and laidback with guests staying with them at umSisi. Their willingness to help create bespoke holidays that take in Kruger but also the wider Lowveld region.
- The beautiful appointment of the house – with its large, light, high-ceiling spacious rooms, magnificent views, embracing veranda and stunning grounds.
- This is all matched by the interior décor which successfully marries authentic African culture with chic European styles. The cottage is similarly decorated and, while very close to the house, offers a degree of privacy for those in the group who want a little more space.
- The food is magnificent – the best local ingredients are used, expertly prepared and tailored to the specific preferences of each group and, if necessary, the dietary needs of specific guests. This is fine dining in the bush.
- The gardens and grounds (including the swimming pool and jacuzzi) surrounding the house are exceptionally well maintained by the team at umSisi who are ever present but never intrusive.
- Uniting the inside and outside workings of umSisi is the sound environmental practices which underpin the entire operation.
- Kruger Park – one of the finest wildlife parks on earth featuring the ‘big five’ – lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and the Cape buffalo – which is on the doorstep of the house.
- umSisi House is a newly built, light, spacious and wonderfully luxurious country home (graded as a 5 Star Country House by the Tourism Grading Council of SA)
- The house and separate cottage within the grounds accommodate small groups of between four and 10 guests in total with three king or twin en-suite rooms in the house itself and two further rooms (with a shared bathroom) in the cottage. Your group has sole use of the property.
- umSisi offers dinner, bed and breakfast (excluding alcoholic drinks) or fully inclusive which includes all meals, local drinks (alcoholic and non), internet access, activity booking service and laundry. You can also choose to stay here on a self catering basis.
- Meals are served in the open plan kitchen or out on the wide veranda which sweeps around the house. Every effort is made to cater for the bespoke needs of each group and a selection of menus featuring seasonal local ingredients is sent to guests prior to arrival.
- For those not on an all inclusive rate there is an ‘honesty bar’ book for drinks which is payable in cash prior to departure. umSisi House also operates a ‘help yourself’ policy to tea and coffee, fruit cordials and fresh fruit for between meal hunger pangs!
- A sun-heated pool adjacent to the house is for guest’s exclusive use during their stay. There is also a jacuzzi in the rock garden again for the exclusive use of guests.
- Beyond the immediate gardens of the house, umSisi is surrounded by 60 hectares of pristine Bushveld which abound with the unique flora and fauna of the region.
- The entire property is managed on sound ecological principles including rainwater capture, water and waste recycling, solar power, composting and planting of indigenous trees to offset carbon emissions.
- Bespoke activities: Paddy and Amanda offer a range of bespoke activities for their guests including a choice of safaris, an impressive selection of adventure activities, local maps of the Panorama Route and Blyde River Canyon, delicious picnics and meals out in the bush. They are always on hand to assist with planning your time with them to ensure you get the most enjoyment during your stay.
- From R12,000 DBB to R14,000 fully inclusive per night for the first 4 guests. Additional guests pay an additional rate per night. Min stay is 2 nights. Self-catering options available upon request
Whilst they were both born in the UK, Paddy and Amanda have made South Africa their adopted home. For Amanda this love affair began in the early 1970’s while Paddy first arrived in 2000. During their first 10 years here the couple travelled extensively and created a comprehensive library of photography and video footage of the southern region of Africa. In 2003, they set up Genesis Room, an environmental studio, working to promote awareness of ecology, nature, eco-tourism, conservation and travel within the region. From this they ventured into operating their own safaris and managing a luxury, privately owned guesthouse. This in-depth experience of the country’s wildlife and the needs of discerning travellers came together in May 2009 when they began to create umSisi House. Their doors opened on 1 March 2010.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Kruger National Park, South Africa
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Kruger National Park, South Africa