A beautiful 300 year-old restored grain barn in an exquisite rural setting makes this holiday cottage for two a sublime spot for romantic souls. Exposed beams, a winding oak staircase and wood burning stove offers peace and relaxation, in style. Prepare to unwind. Bring Fido too, who will be very welcome.
Part of the Woodfarm Barns exclusive collection of six cottages that sleep 2 and a traditional farmhouse that sleeps 7, The Granary is bang in the heart of rural Suffolk, just outside the village of Stonham Aspal. If you like to get out and about, the area is a walker’s paradise. With nature reserves, meadows, woodlands and rivers to explore, you’ll need to bring your hiking boots. Or, if you prefer wheels, you’re in luck; the property has free bikes for you to use during your stay.
For seaside jaunts, you’re well placed for the Suffolk Coast, where you’ll find the gorgeous coastal resorts of Southwold and Thorpeness, among others, between 30 – and 40 minutes away by car. Inland, there’s plenty to see too. The National Trust property Ickworth House, set in 1800 acres of woodland, in Horringer, Bury St Edmunds is half an hour away. Flatford Mill, just 20 minutes away – an unspoiled destination with a small Constable museum and a river to boat on – is well worth a visit. And while you’re busy building up and appetite walking, cycling or sightseeing, you’ll be pleased to know there are lots of places to indulge in superb local food too. There are tearooms, delis and pubs aplenty in the area.
- the host Carl is super hospitable and kind. He has many regular guests now coming back time and time again. He has a large gay and lesbian following and as a straight man, is very proud of this
- all cottages are dog friendly, well-appointed and super cosy, with a pre-laid wood burning stove which you just have to light on arrival
- super comfy beds that we didn’t want to get out of
- very generous welcome pack including delicious local bacon. Lovely touch
- The Granary has a huge, bespoke oak window in the bedroom with beautiful rural views to wake up to.
- Carl organizes a pop-up restaurant with a local chef in the farmhouse from time to time and it’s worth coinciding with these dates if you can
- the location is brilliantly located for Southwold, Walberswick, Framlingham, Lavenham, Minsmere and Dunwich – all perfect for bracing walks, fresh air and big skies
- The Granary is on two levels. The ground floor is open plan, with a lounge/dining area and kitchen
- there are exposed beams literally throughout – the bedroom and shower room too
- a winding oak staircase takes you up to the first floor bedroom
- keep your toes warm with the under-floor heating throughout the property and there’s a wood burning stove to warm up in front of
- The Granary is on the same grounds as Woodfarm House, the traditional farmhouse for seven people, so works out well if you’re holidaying with friends.
- bikes are available, free of charge, including Daisy the Tandem
- The Granary and other cottages have private, enclosed gardens with patio, BBQ and seating
- Wifi, TV, CD and DVD players
- a local breakfast hamper awaits your arrival
Carl’s background is customer service and hospitality so he genuinely understands the principle of putting the customer first. Couple this with his passion for renovating period properties and an appreciation of the basic wish to relax and unwind in the countryside and what you get is a holiday cottage owner whose mission is to ensure guests get the best experience possible that they want to repeat.
He now spends much of his time making sure the cottages continue to meet the highest standard and exploring the area to find the best local businesses for his guests to tap into. This all means a high percentage of returning guests.
ReviewsLeave your own
Nicholas and Steve with Bertie and George the dogs
Warmly welcomed by Carl and impressed by the standard of the barn. Warm in the barn too; the heating was so efficient we had to turn it down and never needed the woodburner! The dogs enjoyed themselves and we were glad of the 100% enclosed garden; perfect for dogs. We visited Rendlesham, Dunwich and Tunstall for walks and also discovered Kings forest. Most days were spent visiting favourite places along the coast from Orford to Southwold. Thanks also for the welcome basket, particularly the delicious eggs. Thanks to Carl and his team for an enjoyable winter mini-break with the dogs.
Betty and Kathryn
We have had a lovely time staying in the Barn and couldn’t have asked for a more relaxing, comfortable place for our first little romantic holiday together. We have wanted for nothing and have very much appreciated the beautiful finishing touches. Woodfarm Barns has helped us create a precious memory. Great cottage
Daryl and Alan
Perfect romantic getaway, far enough away to feel alone – close enough not to feel abandoned. Would love to come back and stay longer.Welcome basket was brilliant and Carl was very helpful.
Julie and Flora
Happy and most wonderful week. The Barn is all one would wish for plus more. House hunting unsuccessful, which gives an excellent opportunity to return for another visit. Many thanks.
Andreas and Elias
We took to cycling in earnest and went off in search of pubs and places to see. The ride down the lane to Coddenham is beautiful and relatively car-free. Recommended. The little ‘village’ of holiday cottages that Carl has created is tremendously cute with lovely touches everywhere. The Granary was superb! Carl is a warm and cheerful man and made us super-welcome! Thank you.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Nr Stonham Aspal, Suffolk, England
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Nr Stonham Aspal, Suffolk, England