ESCAPE TO EDEN
With stupendous views, even from your bed, this self catering cottage for two is a rare find that inspires romance in the stoniest of hearts. Dating from the 16th century with a cosy woodburner, walled garden and surrounded by wild landscapes, the property is a little piece of paradise.
There’s also THE FARMHOUSE (SLEEPS 8) AND ANGEL BARN (SLEEPS 6) on the same slice of heaven…
Situated near Ravenstonedale at the end of Cumbria’s picturesque Eden Valley, Shepherd’s Cottage is surrounded by dramatic and beautiful scenery for miles around.
It’s almost enough to simply stand and stare at the awe-inspiring views from the Shepherd’s Cottage windows, but with so much alluring space to explore just beyond the doorstep, be sure to bring the hiking boots and prepare to get close to nature. Excellent for people who like a gentle ramble in lush countryside, the area is also great for thrill seekers, with plenty of outdoor activities available from walking on Wildboar Fell, the Howgills, the Coast to Coast walk, the Lakeland peaks or the Pennine moors to kayaking or fly-fishing.
This area manages to escape the main bulk of tourists, and so remains beautifully unspoiled. The nearest town to the property, six miles away, is Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria’s first ‘Walkers Are Welcome’ town. It’s a traditional market town bursting with historic sites, varied shops including antique and bookshops and a lively arts scene, which includes the Poetry Path; a walk-able circuit of stones engraved with poems written by a highly acclaimed poet. You can find some good eateries here too and in the neighbouring towns and villages.
To get here will take you 4 hours 40 minutes to drive from central London, or 5 hours on the train from London Victoria.
- the fact that ‘getting away from it all’ really means ‘getting away from it all’. With this property, you’re surrounded by nature, completely away from the crowds
- the pantry, a relic from the 1500s, is stocked with local goodies from freshly laid eggs to damson gin
- luxurious touches, like the dressing gowns, the bathroom toiletries and the handmade beds make this already amazing property, even better
- the owners Debbie and Richard are super lovely and have thought of everything. Offering a warm, generous welcome, the couple are unobtrusive yet informative and friendly. A thoroughly charming duo
- nearby Kirkby Lonsdale is a the perfect Lakes town to visit – filled with boutique one off shops, tea shops, bistros and must see visitor attractions such as Devil’s Bridge (for the motorcycle addicts), Ruskins View (for poets & painters) and St Mary’s Church built in Norman times
- downstairs, the lounge and kitchen are open plan, with sofas, Aga and woodburner, plus a pantry stocked with homemade and local produce you can buy
- for warm days, the kitchen has back doors that open onto a patio, ideal for relaxing with a book
- upstairs the bedroom is large and there are long reaching views from the four-poster super-king sized bed
- luxury bathroom with double ended roll top bath with plenty of room for two; a separate shower, Bath House toiletries and white robes
- a luxury welcome hamper is offered, including champagne, homemade cake and bread
- the pantry, just off the kitchen, is stocked with homemade treats, local beers & wine and operates on an ‘honesty’ system
- there’s a private, walled garden outside the property with facilities for a BBQ and fire-pit during the summer months. It also has a fab outside bath for summer soaking
Richard and Debbie love living at a A Corner of Eden and enjoy welcoming guests to share the experience. They fell in love with the place, in a slightly more derelict form, the first time they laid eyes on it and have spent the last few years loving it back to life. Richard’s creative approach along with Debbie’s great organisational and interior design skills have culminated in a place that is fun, stylish, quirky and works like a treat. They both have a love for the outdoors which is such a big part of being in such a place of wild beauty.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.