Opened in 2008, this independent hotel was the first boutique hotel in Brooklyn. It describes itself as the “true Brooklyn hotel” and works hard at this by bringing Brooklyn into the hotel… whether through local artists, famous Brooklynites or just the general cool, urban vibe of its surroundings.
This hotel is the perfect place for someone who has already been to New York City and seen all the tourist sights in Manhattan or someone that just wants to experience Brooklyn… perhaps the most stylish city in the USA.
NU Hotel is located in between the vibrant neighborhoods of Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill as well as Downtown Brooklyn… and walking distance from Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope. Brooklyn is the largest of NYC’s five boroughs and on its own it would be the fourth largest city in the US (after NYC, LA and Chicago). Brooklyn is less touristy as well as less expensive than nearby Manhattan and gives visitors a more unique New York experience.
Brooklyn has a lot to offer as well… famous Williamsburg, the leafy oasis of Prospect Park, shopping at flea markets or unique boutiques as well as top rated museums. There is a huge a variety of dining options from fine dining in a Michelin star restaurant to a lazy brunch in the DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass) neighborhood.
Brooklyn is a dynamic cultural hotspot… from music to art to literature, and has spawned many great artists and art styles. It just feels very vibrant and fresh. However, while Brooklyn has everything you need, the bright lights of Manhattan are close by… it is either a 30-40 minute walk from the NU Hotel over the famous Brooklyn Bridge to Downtown Manhattan or, if you are in a rush, just a 10 minute subway ride.
- how the hotel has embraced Brooklyn and brought the city inside… whether through local artists, stenciled quotes from famous Brooklynites or objects obtained from famous local landmarks. Brooklyn artists have their art on display in the hotel lobby with new artists showcased every three months
- all this artwork got you inspired? The NU Hotel thought you might be, so they have put large blackboards on a wall in each bathroom, right next to the toilet, allowing you to create your own Basquiat. Love that!
- both nearby neighborhoods of Park Slope and Cobble Hill have large gay populations and the NU Hotel is proud of its gay friendliness. Every staff member has gone through LGBT diversity and sensitivity training (TAG Approved). It is now legal for same sex partners to get married in New York and the NU Hotel offers a great “Love OUT Loud” gay wedding package
- the complimentary NU Bikes provided for the hotel guests. A great way to see Brooklyn! Even here the hotel stays true to Brooklyn… these “Brooklyn Cruisers” were all made in nearby Williamsburg
- Eco friendly environment! Besides the free bikes, the hotel keeps green in many other ways… from lead-free paint to cork floors to eco friendly bath products by Eartherapy
- 93 loft inspired rooms including their three Urban Suites, complete with hanging hammocks
- large fitness centre, open 24 hours, with free-weights, machines and treadmills. Equipped for cardio, pilates and yoga
- the lobby area is multifunctional. A reception area with lounge which changes from breakfast area to cafe to tapas restaurant and bar throughout the day, all with a few ingenious changes to the decor
- Misdemeanor. A sidewalk cafe and bar located in the lobby (with outdoor seating as well) serving tapas for lunch and dinner. Menu designed by celebrity chef Jehangir Meta. The tapas are perfect with cocktails or combined to make a great meal. The bar at Misdemeanor has a fantastic cocktail list designed by famed mixologist Milos Zica
- onsite guest parking and NU Bikes, complimentary bicycles for guests to borrow
Hersha Hospitality Trust is a real estate investment trust that owns high style and upscale hotels in mainly urban areas. NU Hotel is part of their Independent Collection.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Brooklyn, New York, USA
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Brooklyn, New York, USA