OLD MEETS VERY NEW
This nineteenth century factory building in East Berlin has been renovated and added to in order to create highly distinctive contemporary apartments, which offer a relaxed alternative to staying in a characterless hotel.
“With its award-winning steel and concrete exterior, the MINILOFT, in East Berlin’s trendy Mitte neighbourhood, bags the title for most striking apartment block in town.” The Guardian
The lofts are on Hessische Strasse in an increasingly thriving district of downtown East Berlin which boasts an ever growing number of bars, restaurants and café’s. From the Lofts you can easily walk to key city sites including the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag Building, the Tiergarten and the simple but arresting Holocaust memorial. But if walking is not your thing there are several U-Bahn (underground) stations close at hand and the Hauptbahnhof (central train station) is a short walk away.
Read our blog about Berlin to give you an idea of some of the things on offer in this great city.
- Minilofts offer something very special and very different to the predominantly standard accommodation offer in Berlin and we loved them because of this. Because of their history and the vision of their creators they have a distinct personality
- Minilofts describe themselves as an “apartment hotel” and we could see why. You have all the comfort of a hotel suite and a high level, albeit unobtrusive, of customer care. The guest guide is amazing btw!
- Berlin. Despite the Wall coming down in 1989 you get a sense that the city is still very much in transition and has ambitious plans for its future. There is some amazing architecture taking place and a thriving cultural scene especially in downtown former East Berlin
- look out for shops selling design classics which are now in vogue
- there is a ‘gay and lesbian district’ in Berlin around Nollendorfplatz which is easily accessible on the U-Bahn and is worth a visit but to be honest the entire city is gay friendly so don’t limit yourself!
- the open plan Lofts come in several shapes and sizes: Extroverted, Introverted, Classic and Compact – the primary difference between them being how many they accommodate and where they are in the building
- they all follow a studio format and are united in their simple urban style – think uncluttered spaces, large windows, under floor heating and comfort
- if you find the need to prepare a meal each Loft has a mini kitchenette which is amply equipped: fridge, dishwasher, microwave, electric rings and essentials such as tea and coffee. The fridge is also stocked with modestly priced fruit juice, beers and bottled water
- if staying in is your thing each Loft benefits from having complimentary high speed Wifi connection, cable television, CD player and telephone
- lift access to all lofts
- each loft comes with an excellent local guide highlighting personally chosen places to eat, drink, shop and visit in the neighbourhood
Britta Jürgens and Matthew Griffin are the architects who took the bold move to create Minilofts and today manage it with the help of a small friendly team. You can read a bit more about the buildings on their website.
Today Britta and Matthew continue to be at the cutting edge of urban planning with a focus on how other external changes in technology, society and the state of the economy impact on the built environment.
ReviewsLeave your own
Alaric and Violette, Perth: May 2013
Far better than boxy hotel rooms - light and airy, high ceilings and all amenities great - a product of thoughtful, creative design - not just a "pretty face" - very practical and liveable and a lot less expensive than our Paris citadine. All this is complemented by Andy, your very helpful manager who, as a bonus for us, spoke our language.
Tracy and John, Weston, Conneticut: November 2011
Beautiful space, very convenient neighborhood. Your guidebook is exceptional – it trumped the research we had done on Berlin. We loved your recommendations and input. The aesthetics of the residence are lovely. Andy and Stephan were very helpful." ED NOTE: We agree about the guide book - we have yet to find one that beats Minilofts - informative, personal and very easy to use.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.