Languedoc village home from home
Utterly charming chambres d’hotes in the heart of the Languedoc, the charm of Maison des Palmiers is matched only by that of its hosts. An ideal base to explore this area, visiting vineyards, wandering cobbled laneways or sampling French cuisine at its finest. But the joy is returning to this little French gem, the home of great cocktails and fine food.
In the picturesque French village of Bize-Minervois, with its stone houses and meandering river, in an area famous for its wine, Maison des Palmiers offers the opportunity to immerse yourself in the “real” France. Head out further and you’ve amazing sights like the Medieval castle in Carcassonne to explore or head to the throbbing metropolis of Montpelier. Also within a short drive are some wonderful places to visit, like lovely Minerve, just 10 minutes away, and the Abbaye de Fontfroide, just on the edge of Narbonne. The famous Canal du Midi is on the doorstep where you can walk or hire a boat. If you are feeling energetic bicycle hire can be arranged to help explore the area.
Languedoc also has some fabulous – and often little known – coastline and there are beaches just over 30 minutes’ drive away.
There are lots of options for getting here by air, rail or road. Check out Sandy and Richard’s travel advice for the full picture. Having a car here will definitely help you get the most out of your stay.
- Breakfast at Maison des Palmiers is a wonderful affair. Served outside if it’s warm enough there’s a proper feast of continental fare to choose from
- After a day exploring – or by the pool – start your evening with one of Sandy’s cocktails and book in for dinner when it’s available. All beautifully prepared and pared with great wines from the region it adds to the simple relaxation on offer
- Any review will make reference to your hosts here. Sandy and Richard are relaxed but professional, friendly and informative but aware of your need for privacy. A great combination
- The house has an unmistakably French air about it, with grand ceiling heights, antique furniture and shuttered windows
- The beaches in the Languedoc are quieter than many other French coastal areas and make for a beautiful day out during your stay
- Five suites of varying sizes all decorated in French style – think antiques and tiled floors – making the most this wonderful house
- Four have spacious en suites and the fifth a separate bathroom
- The L’Épice Suite is an ideal room for a larger group, sleeping four in an open plan space in the eaves of the house with a large seating area
- The Étoile’ Suite has a private terrace overlooking the garden and pool
- Communal sitting room with TV and games
- Grand dining room for dinners and breakfasts but there’s also an outside dining terrace for warmer weather
- Lovely garden with plenty of seating and shaded corners plus a crystal clear pool
- As well as breakfast Richard and Sandy can provide lunches, dinners and even picnics (if you can face leaving the house…)
- There’s a great wine and drinks list influenced by this wonderful wine producing region
Richard and Sandy left London in 2019 having decided to follow their dream of offering superb service, brilliant experiences and wonderful holidays in France. And Maison des Palmiers is the result.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Maison des Palmiers
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Maison des Palmiers