Stylish, sustainably focused gîtes
Two stylish, quirky, sustainably focused and beautifully restored French gîtes with a glorious pool, perfect for gathering those you care about most. Take both for a group of 18 (plus babies) or in low season take a smaller group and immerse yourself in this beautiful corner of France.
The Tuscany of France. The Charente has that reputation with good reason; rolling green hills studded with woodland, meandering rivers and Medieval hill top towns of majestic beauty. It’s an area full of superb cuisine, unmistakably French culture and the opportunity to escape to a less hectic world. Angoulême, the thriving capital of the Charente department, is close by and if you want to explore further there are fabulous beaches just over two hours away and there’s the city of Périgueux a little further if you fancy a day of culture.
You can take the train or fly to several airports within easy reach including Bergerac and Bordeaux. A car is really the only way you can get the best out of this area
- Above all else, there are few things that can beat spending a few hours simply “being” here. Take time to relax and let the spirit of this unique place work its magic
- The houses have been stylishly kitted out with sustainability driven choices of vintage and preloved pieces, mixed with handcrafted and locally sourced elements and energy efficient rated appliances
- The opportunity to gather your people and reconnect and recharge here, but without compromising on space
- If you’d like a boulangerie for your daily French baguette or tasty pastries, you can cycle to one in 15 minutes
- This is a perfect setting if you’re looking to organise a retreat or course – a wellbeing retreat here would be amazing! There’s an in-house chef available to provide freshly prepared meals including vegan menus, using local seasonal produce
- For wine lovers the neighbouring regions of Cognac, Bordeaux, Saint-Émilion and Bergerac, are just a short drive away
- Two beautifully renovated rural French homes for larger groups, restored with a dedication to sustainability
- Maison de Ferme sleeps 12 (plus babies) in five bedrooms across three floors, with beautifully presented reception rooms, as well as a games room with gym area
- Maison d’Amis is just next door and sleeps six in three bedrooms with a large kitchen diner and elegant sitting room
- Both houses have alfresco dining and cooking areas to make the most of the fabulous French weather
- Outside there are wonderful terraced gardens with views across open countryside and plentiful seating areas
- The gorgeous pool is buried within the stone walls of an old barn
- Meals can be cooked on site or freshly prepared and delivered to you if you don’t fancy cooking
- Whilst this is a perfect spot for a technological detox, there is Wifi and each house has a flat screen TV, DVD and Smart speakers
- Les Chauvins is not suitable for those with limited mobility due to the number of stairs and sloping grounds
This is one of the owners’ stories which we love and which make us such great fans of our hosts. Kelly and Peter met, fell in love and then four years and one day later “met” and fell in love with Les Chauvins in August 2019. They’ve followed their dream and created these unique, stylish and eco-conscious gîtes in the South of France filled with personality and style – just like your hosts. Read more about Kelly and Peter in our Meet the Owners’ feature and keep up to date with their story via their blog
Kelly and Peter are dedicated to making these 400 year old properties as sustainable as possible. Their’s is a realistic approach – they don’t believe you can change the world in one go – but through simple actions like helping calculate your carbon footprint getting to and from Les Chauvins which they then offset, upcycling as much as possible and supplying eco-friendly products, they’re making a start.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.