A 17th-century mansion house, once an artist’s club with a lively history, now rescued and renovated to create a chic, small boutique hotel in the oldest part of this most vibrant of Spanish towns.
Nestled in the heart of Marbella old town, Hotel Claude is only a short stroll away from sandy beaches and Plaza de Los Naranjos, which is the romantic heart of Marbella. It also has a very different, more traditional feel to nearby Puerto Banús and all that goes with it!
Marbella is well located to explore other towns in Andalucia, most notably Ronda perched high in the hills of the interior.
Malaga airport is approximately 30 minutes drive away from the hotel. Malaga is also well connected by high-speed train to other major towns in Spain including Madrid and Barcelona. It is also a short bus ride from Malaga to Marbella.
- Marbellla Old Town: often overlooked because of the reputation of neighbouring ‘Marbella’ as a party town for Brits abroad. The Old Town is world away from all that especially nearby Plaza de Los Naranjos, where you sit under the orange trees having your mid morning coffee watching the town come alive
- the historic nature of the hotel from its stucco front to its galleried interior which gives it a Moorish feel, and the wonderful story which links the current owners to its past
- the beauty of the interior landscape of the region – Ronda is a must visit
- just 30 minutes drive from Malaga airport. So easy to get to for a quick blast of sunshine at most times of the year
- seven unique rooms and suites united by their use of natural materials including sandstone baths, terracotta floors and stunning regional fabrics
- sumptuous spacious bathrooms with walk-in showers – some also have stand alone baths
- air conditioning, flat screen TV, Wifi and iPod docking station in each room
- light and stylish public areas in which to sit and eat tapas, drink or read
- roof terrace from where you can see across the rooftops of the old town to the beaches and sea beyond. Breakfast is served here on sunny days and there are lots of those
- breakfast is classic Spanish with lots of fresh local fruits, breads, pastries and great coffee. Tapas is available from lunchtime onwards and dinner can be provided by prior arrangement
Once the summer residence of Empress Eugenia de Montijo, wife of Napoleon III, the house was owned by Don Juan Berjano, a bon viveur, who lived there with his first wife, a French opera singer, Claude Devoize, in the glory days of Marbella in the 70s and 80s. Don Juan, an international top lawyer (now retired), led a Bohemian existence and his home played host to endless soirees, performances and vibrant social events. When Claude passed away, Don Juan shut the doors and never set foot into it again. That is until his stepson and City broker, Franz, opened “Hotel Claude” in the summer of 2007.
Neglected for two decades before Franz decided to restore the house and create a boutique hotel, he invested a large amount into renovating and “reviving” this historical building while his Spanish wife, Maria, led the design team.
It is now run by Franz´s sister, Désirée, who also worked in the City as a broker for a few years but left in 2000 to follow her own passion: acting and writing. She now combines the day-to-day business of the hotel with her occasional acting jobs and the writing of her first screenplay.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Marbella old town, Andalucia, Spain
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Marbella old town, Andalucia, Spain