CALM AND AUTHENTIC
Amidst the intoxicating smells, colours and sounds of Marrakech, this traditional Riad is a magical melting pot of style, character, peace and comfort. A roof terrace, plunge pool, delicious food, log fires and charming hosts make this property an oasis of calm after a hard day’s haggling at the markets.
In a quiet back street just a short walk from the heart of the medina of Marrakech, the property is nicely out of the way of the main tourist stretch and its location gives you a proper insight into local living. In the northern part of the medina, the accommodation is perfectly placed for exploring the city’s highlights, from the main square, DJEMAA EL FNA, to gardens, hammams, cafes and souks. While there is opportunity aplenty to shop in Marrakech’s souks – and haggle you must – there are also wonderful food markets, such as LE MARCHE DU MELLAH. It’s a fantastic covered market and a labyrinth of stalls: you’ll just want to follow your nose to the herbs, spices, pastries or fruit you might fancy.
The souks are an amazing experience, but for respite, there are lots of cafes to relax in and peaceful places to visit, such as the beautiful MAJORELLE GARDEN, a tropical sanctuary in the centre of Marrakech. Taking time to visit the museums, including the new MAISON DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE is a good way to understand the diverse personality of the city, as is a visit to the tannery district, where you’ll see the traditional tanners at work.
Finally, don’t forget the hammams: LES BAINS DE MARRAKECH make the ideal antidote to a day at the crazy souks. If you want to go further afield, excursions to the Atlas Mountains, Ourika Valley and the Sahara Desert, among others, are available.
To get to Marrakech, you can fly from London in about approx 3hr 30 and transfer to the accommodation by taxi.
Please remember that Morocco criminalises both homosexuality and sex outside of marriage. Few western gay travellers have issues in Morocco, but do remember this and exercise respect and caution. Read our blog on visiting Morocco as a gay man.
- the service and attention to our needs was second to none. Peter and his small team are the dream team. Hassan has elegance and knowledge beyond his years. His eloquent English means that there are no “lost in translation” episodes
- the food at Dar Zaman is superb. Breakfasts are plentiful and full of local color and the evening meals are superb. Having the option of dinner is a great comfort. You might have to order ahead of time but after a day touring the idea of having dinner ‘at home’ is truly appealing
- after a hard day grafting in the city’s souks, coming home and slipping into the cool water of the plunge pool is just perfect
- the silence. You would have no idea you were in the middle of the medina. Once inside the property you quite literally only hear the birds in the trees. For anyone who loves to read or write while they are traveling, Dar Zaman provides the perfect calm atmosphere
- the sun terrace is delightful. Guests mingle and commune together in the space so for a single traveler, this can be a welcome aspect
- four en-suite double bedrooms, decorated in Moroccan decor with Berber rugs and handicrafts
- all rooms have luxury beds and bed-linen, air-con and heating. A safe is available
- a sun terrace and plunge pool
- open fireplaces.
- delicious breakfast included in the room rate. Optional lunch or dinner at the Riad of Moroccan dishes, made with fresh ingredients
- a guided tour of the Marrakech medina with an official guide is available
- cooking classes are available at the Riad and include visiting the local baker and buying ingredients before cooking the dish
- Wifi – free and strong throughout the property
Peter arrived for a holiday with friends and by the end of his week he had, like you do, bought a Riad for total renovation! He is still not sure what came over him that week but lets just say he was seduced by the vibrancy of the colours and the architecture. Peter is English but was working in advertising in New York when he bought the Riad but now lives full time in Marrakech. Read his blog on life in Marrakech
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Riad Dar Zaman
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Riad Dar Zaman