For a stay at any time this year, book before January 31 and get 20% off all glamping bookings (excluding the treehouse): https://www.mallinson.co.uk/booking.html
GLAMPING IN THE WOODS
The word that rings out loud and clear from the guest book at Crafty Camping is ‘magical’ and so it is. Whether you choose the Woodsman’s treehouse, a yurt, a tipi, a shepherd’s hut or a bell tent you will find lots of privacy, child free peace and gay friendly camping luxury in this Dorset woodland wonder world.
The Treehouse won the RIBA SW award and the RIBA SW Small project architectural award in 2017, as well as featuring in the Grand Designs House of the Year competition.
You can hire the whole site at Crafty Camping for your private use and hold a magical event to celebrate anything that’s worth celebrating! But remember the emphasis here is on calm and child free, so if you want to celebrate around a camp fire as someone strums the guitar then this is the place for you!
Crafty Camping is a seven acre woodland in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Dorset just five miles from Axminster. Each unit is carefully positioned to give privacy with lots of personal space.
You can get a train to Axminster from London Waterloo (two hours 45 minutes) and then it is 10 minutes in a taxi. There is also a bus stop about 45 minutes walk from Crafty Camping with services from Axminster.
You’re 10 miles to Lyme Regis, 17 miles to Bridport and 150 miles to London!
- From the moment you arrive you will notice the craftsmanship in everything from the beautiful entrance gate to the yurt interiors – testament to the skills of Guy and his team
- Some glamping sites stuff you in cheek by jowl. Not so here – you will enjoy lots of privacy thanks to careful positioning and just eight units across a big space. The yurts and shepherd’s hut also have a wonderful elevated woodland view from their terrace
- The Tree house is magical. A copper bath. Sauna. A hot tub on the balcony. Just beautiful
- Outdoor living with some luxury is a wonderful thing. The best of all world’s – life under canvas but with a hot shower and flushing loo…it doesn’t get better! And with dual control electric blankets and heated towel rails you can camp all year round in comfort and warmth
- While you can be very private if you wish, there are also opportunities to commune with your fellow glampers in the communal kitchen and gamesroom
- The units are all reached by raised wooden walkways so while you are walking through the woodland you are not traipsing through mud when it is wet. Very civilised
- If you don’t fancy doing your own alfresco cooking then there are lots of eating opportunities nearby from casual cafes through to gastronomic eateries
- A huge treehouse, two yurts, one tipi, one shepherd’s hut and a bell tent all sleeping two and with lots of private space. Each has a double or kingsize bed with crisp white cotton sheets and duvet, wood burning stove, candle lanterns, BBQ/brazier with starter firewood, picnic table, pots and pans, oak picnic table and seats. And lets not forget to mention those dual control electric blankets and heated towel rails so you can camp in comfort all year round.
- The yurts and shepherd’s hut are in elevated position with good views from their private terrace across the woodland. They and the Tipi also have an ensuite flushing toilets and hot showers open to the sky. The bell tent has access to communal (ladies and gents) hot showers with slate and oak floors and there are also normal ladies and gents flushing toilets
- While you will have your own BBQ/Brazier with all the tools and materials plus a Kelly kettle for boiling water, you can also use the comprehensive communal woodland kitchen/dining area which has gas rings, a BBQ, and a pizza oven, washing up facilities, huge oak dining table plus all the bits and pieces you will need to cook and eat a meal
- Complimentary biodegradable ‘Faith In Nature’ shower gel and soap, Dorset cereals, coffee and Dorset tea complete the nice little touches that make the difference
- Communal yurt with games room, library and sauna with changing room, shower and toilet
- Guy is a master craftsperson in green woodworking and runs a range of totally optional courses from making a chair from a tree to carving a wooden spoon
Guy Mallinson has the look and laugh of a man who is happy with his lot. He has that grounded contented quality that often comes from people who actually make useful and beautiful things. He trained as cabinet maker and studied furniture design at the Royal College of Art before running his own furniture design business in London for 15 years.
Since moving to Dorset, he and his team have created Crafty Camping, and Guy now also runs optional green woodworking courses from his woodland studio. You may have also seen him on the BBC’s Masterclass series, George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces or Grand designs (house of the year for the treehouse).
ReviewsLeave your own
Meg: April 2016
This is the best holiday we have been on. We felt very welcome. There is a lot to do - and each hut/tent/yurt has its own bbq and log burning stove and its far away from other tents/yurt/hut - so its really very quiet and very romantic. the hot tree showers and amazing - and the sauna was beautiful. Amazing stay. 10/10
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Nr Axminster and Lyme Regis, Dorset
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Nr Axminster and Lyme Regis, Dorset