Galician Lakeside Retreat
Casa da Cabaza, a boutique B&B in Galicia, is located on the shores of a lake in beautiful, rural Galicia. Charmingly renovated from an old stone farmhouse, it transports you back to another time and place. Tranquil and ideal for relaxing, it’s the perfect base from which to explore the region.
In the Lugo province of Galicia in north western Spain, Casa da Cabaza is a wonderfully secluded oasis on the shores of a lake. This lush part of the country has rivers and inland lakes for swimming and kayaking, wonderful thermal springs on the banks of river Miño and centuries-old vineyards dramatically clinging to gorges overhanging the regions’ two majestic rivers – all of which are within easy driving distance. The historic Roman town of Lugo is a 45-minute drive away; Ourense, with its thermal baths, can be reached in an hour and Santiago de Compostela with its cathedral – the final destination of the ‘camino’ pilgrims – is just under two hours away.
Arriving by air, Santiago and A Coruña are Galicia’s regional airports, just a few hours away by car. Alternatively Porto’s airport, just across the border in Portugal, is a 2.5 hour drive.
- The lakeside location is a stunner and, given its remoteness, stargazing at night here is truly a feast for the eyes
- The interior design here is lovely. Traditional Spanish farmhouse details such as wooden beamed ceilings and stone walls blend perfectly with contemporary artistic touches throughout
- Tariq runs a selection of workshops throughout the year on specialist photography, gravure printing and book-making
- The vegetarian breakfast served is mostly organic, locally sourced and of the utmost freshness. Tapas are also available in the evenings, or there are bars and restaurant options in nearby towns and villages
- The location is ideal for those looking for a peaceful place to relax and unwind. It’s an area rich in Roman heritage and wine-making and also an ideal place to get out and explore nature with wonderful hiking trails practically on the doorstep
- Five private, en-suite guest rooms each uniquely decorated with original art works
- There’s a communal dining/lounge/recreational room as well as terraces overlooking the lake and lovely gardens
- A full, vegetarian breakfast is included and there’s the possibility of small evening meals if booked in advance
- There is WiFi and there are plenty of quiet places to read, but no TV, which is perfect for this little oasis
- Full central heating is available during the cooler months
Owners Sietske and Tariq are an international couple whose wide range of interests -including art photography, horse training, permaculture, and organic gardening – have proven valuable as hosts. After living in Andalusia, they moved up to Galicia and began restoring and designing what is now their beloved oasis at Casa da Cabaza. You can see more of Tariq’s stunning photography online. Sietske also runs a women only travel collection – VakanShe – focused on walking holidays. Great stuff.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Casa da Cabaza
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Casa da Cabaza
Lugo, Galicia, Spain