Tuscan Hilltop hideaway
High up in wooded Tuscan hills are these two apartments with catering options. Traditional, rustic and homely they reflect the warmth and hospitality of your hosts in this quiet corner, way off the beaten track. Be part of the family with meals and cooking courses or retreat to your own private and relaxing space. Explore or choose your hammock. This is as slow a holiday as you want it to be.
In a tiny hamlet surrounded by woodland and incredible views, Ca’ Valenzano offers an opportunity to escape into a quieter, more traditional, more rewarding way of life. There are great walking routes from the house, wild swimming spots close by as well as traditional Italian towns like Urbino to explore (less than an hour away).
If you want to head further there’s the coast and even Florence to add to your day trips. But maybe you’re missing the point if you do. Ca’ Valenzano is a chance to be somewhere uniquely beautiful, whole heartedly Italian and somewhere you get to be part of the lives of this family if you wish to. That’s part of what makes it so special.
The closest airports are at Perugia, then Ancona and Bologna. You will need a car for your stay.
- The flexibility here means you have the choice of totally self catering, maybe having breakfast all the way through to having every meal provided from Alice’s superb kitchen
- The location means you can explore or restore. Your call. Having wild swimming close by for a warm summer’s day is a rather lovely idea!
- The décor is traditional to blend with the original features that have been preserved when the buildings were renovated and the apartments feel incredibly cosy and welcoming
- The gardens and terraces are lovely at this Tuscan retreat. Hammocks and shady corners, a small cooling off pool and Il Granaio has a small private terrace too
- There’s the option of taking part in some cookery classes too where Alice shares her knowledge and passion for Italian cuisine. There are also seasonal opportunities like truffle hunting
- You can’t stay here without commenting on Gavin and Alice’s hosting style. You can be as much or as little part of the family as you choose here, but either way you’ll be welcomed with smiles and everything you need to get the most out of your stay
- Two open plan apartments, the larger – La Piccionaia – has open stairs to a huge loft room
- Each has at least one sofa bed for extra guests and under 2s can stay for free
- Travel cots, high chairs, small playground and toys are available
- Both apartments have cooking facilities and one has a fully fitted kitchen
- Walk in showers in modern bathrooms
- Shared gardens with small cooling off pool
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner can be provided if required
- Good quality Wifi is available in the apartments
Alice and Gavin moved to this corner of Tuscany a decade ago and have very much made it their home. With their three children they’ve created a warm and happy environment which guests are invited to be part of as much as they wish to. Alice is a superb cook and offers meals and cooking experiences where you’re welcomed in to the fold. They’re equally aware of the need to switch off and recharge so also know how to provide the space and privacy you need do that.
ReviewsLeave your own
Gwyn, June 2023
A wonderfully relaxing 5 nights in the mountains with the lovely Alice and Gavin. Alice prepares fantastic breakfasts and I would strongly recommend that you arrange to join the hosts for dinner one night...Alice really is an excellent cook...probably the best meal of our entire holiday! The apartment is clean and comfortable with all the accoutrements you might want for prepping a snack or light meal. It was unseasonably chilly while we were there and it would have been nice to have been able to switch on the central heating...but this just means that you go to bed early and read! If you want a quiet, relaxing break, look no further!
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.