Andalucian B&B near Granada and Cordoba
Heading away from the costas of Southern Spain you’re very quickly in a different world. A more traditional, unspoilt Spain. More real. Atelier 88 is a quirky, boutique B&B with just two lovely rooms in historic and beautiful Alcala La Real, perfectly located to explore this more authentic Andalucia.
Alcala La Real is an historically important and beautiful city in the province of Jaen, often referred to as the gateway to Andalucia and renowned for its natural, rugged landscape, olive groves and rich culture and history. Atelier88 is literally just a stone’s throw from the stunning Fortaleza de la Mota, a huge Moorish castle that dominates the city’s skyline. Located between Cordoba (100 km) and Granda (50km) it is the perfect base for visiting these wonderful cities and other charming towns and villages in the region. After a day exploring what could be better than relaxing in the Moorish inspired, garden terrace with its saltwater swimming pool?
Getting here is easy, Alcala La Real is just 48 km from Granada airport or if you prefer to be car free, take the bus to Alcala (about an hour) or jump in a taxi (half an hour).
- The whole house is full of charm and quirky features and feels very Spanish, but with a light touch. Think Spanish tiles and potted geraniums
- The pool and patio are lovely! After a day exploring to head back and spend some time here is welcome
- The breakfasts are great, plentiful and using local produce. Freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh coffee, freshly prepared breakfast pots (made from fruits, nuts, greek yoghurt & honey), bread, olive oil, marmalade, cheese & jamon.
- The rooms are spacious and light and the bathrooms modern. Whilst Miro’s bathroom is across the hall it stills feels private and the added space makes it perfect if you’re travelling with smaller ones
- The city of Alcala La Real is really beautiful. Take a tour of the caste, local churches and museum to get a real sense of the incredible history of this Moorish city
- There are great places to eat within a few minutes walk of Atelier 88 and Ash and Angela are happy to advise on which ones to pick
- Quirky, renovated Spanish townhouse in the heart of ancient Alcala La Real
- Two bedrooms, one of which is ensuite and the other with private bathroom
- There is a third twin room available for rental with the second double, so sharing its bathroom – perfect for a family
- The whole house can be rented for up to 7
- Beautiful Moroccan patio with a salt water pool and plenty of shady corners
- The guest rooms are air conditioned and there’s Wifi throughout
- TV & Music Salon located in the studio at the rear of the house including a Smart TV, comfy seating, Google Play and Bose speaker with phonedoc so guests can play their own tunes
- A complimentary half bottle of local red wine, cooled bottles of water, coffee and a selection of teas are always available to guests
- There is an honesty bar which offers chilled beers, wines and cava at a modest price
After long careers in the UK public sector Angela and Ash wanted a new challenge and decided to open B&B. Their first business was based in Margate but they had itchy feet and decided to make the move to Spain in June 2018 and now run Atelier 88 with the help of their dogs. They even got married in Alcala la Real during 2019, so it really does feel like their home. Their USP? “We bring a unique combination of Yorkshire and Guyanese hospitality (and humour)”.
ReviewsLeave your own
Harry: May 2020
This beautiful Spanish house has all the character of its age and yet has energy, the pool, the DJ booth, a Moorish castle within sight. Great hosts. Definitely recommend.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Alcala La Real, Andalucia
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Alcala La Real, Andalucia