Art, Space and Gite combined
These gites for two in a small French village provide not only the chance to recharge or explore, but also to contribute to the community and the arts as staying here funds artists’ retreats. Beyond that they are beautifully designed and comfortable spaces with an unsurpassed welcome. Perfect French escapism.
In the heart of Fontaine-Daniel, a small but vibrant village with a rich history of the arts, you’ve a community shop, bakers and good quality restaurants quite literally on your doorstep. The area is full of beautiful towns and villages, including Mayenne and its stone castle, the beautiful village of Lassay-les-Châteaux or the hilltop village of Sainte Suzanne. But in reality, one of the joys of these gites is the chance to truly escape and enjoy their location.
Arriving by air you’ve Rennes airport (1 hour 30) – check out direct flights on its site – or Dinard (2hrs). There are train options to Laval and Le Mans from Paris and easy road networks if you drive.
- The feeling of calm and tranquility that the gites provide. Interestingly decorated with a mix of antique and modern furniture they are lovely spaces to be in
- Fontaine-Daniel is a truly beautiful and interesting village. There’s a real sense of community and history here. Visit the Toile-De-Mayenne fabric factory if you’re interested in design. Sip a cognac at the local bar if you’re not
- Being in the village means when you don’t want to go far you’ve still everything you need on your doorstep, including great restaurants
- Ursula’s passion for where she lives and what she does is so evident in the art covered walls, the free tours and her general welcome and manner that it’s hard not to end up wanting to live in Fontaine-Daniel
- That by coming here on holiday you’re benefiting someone else, giving them the opportunity to explore and create their art. It’s a good feeling
- The two gites, each sleeping two, form the ground floor of a large building, other areas of which are dedicated to studio and living space
- Each has a living room with wood burner, original artwork and a sense of space and light. The large bedrooms are perfect for catching up on sleep
- There are fully equipped kitchens and beautifully fitted bathrooms
- Both being on the ground floor with walk in showers makes them easier to access BUT they do not provide full disabled access
- A garden area is shared across both gites where chickens can usually be found scratching around
- Welcome packs and guided tours (if you want one)
- Wifi and parking are available and small dogs allowed
Ursula is an author with a passion about her community and the arts and has, through the gites, found a way to promote and benefit both. The income generated from the rental of the gites goes toward supporting artists of all kinds on retreats here, giving them the space and freedom to explore and complete projects. Her knowledge and passion for the village means she’ll happily give you a tour of the village – a personal insight that brings a different dimension to your stay.
ReviewsLeave your own
No reviews for this property yet.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY
Request availability directly from the owner. Making an enquiry does not put you under an obligation to book. You will receive a response from the owner. No commission is payable to Further Afield on any booking.
Mayenne, Pays-de-la-Loire, France
LEAVE A REVIEW
Please fill out the whole form and let us know if we can add your comments to the website.
We won't publish your name or contact details – we'll only use them to get back in touch with you about your comments if we need to.
We don’t publish negative comments but we will discuss them with the owner.
Mayenne, Pays-de-la-Loire, France